GoldenEye is a 1995 spy film and the seventeenth in the James Bond series produced by Eon Productions, and the first to star Pierce Brosnan as the fictional MI6 officer James Bond. It was directed by Martin Campbell and is the first in the series not to utilise any story elements from the works of novelist Ian Fleming. The story was conceived and written by Michael France, with later collaboration by other writers. In the film, Bond fights to prevent an ex-MI6 agent, gone rogue, from using a satellite weapon against London to cause a global financial meltdown.
- Starring : Pierce Brosnan / Sean Bean
- Genre : Action / Adventure / Thriller
- Country : United Kingdom / United States
- Language : English / Russian / Spanish
- Director : Martin Campbell
- Production : Eon Productions / United Artists
- Distributor : Bontonfilm – Alfa / Chapel Distribution / United Artists / United International Pictures (UIP) / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / Argentina Video Home / Audio Visual Enterprises / Canal+ / ERA Home Entertainment / FS Film / Filmes Lusomundo / MGM Home Entertainment / MGM/UA Home Entertainment / MGM/UA Home Video / Mainostelevisio (MTV3) / National Broadcasting Company (NBC) / Nelonen / Rai 3 / SBS6 / Sandrew Metronome Distribution / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / Sub / Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment / Varus Video / Warner Home Video / Warner Home Vídeo
GoldenEye release date
- November 13, 1995 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- November 16, 1995 : Canada
- November 17, 1995 : USA
- November 21, 1995 : UK (London) (premiere)
- November 24, 1995 : UK
- November 24, 1995 : Ireland
- December 7, 1995 : Singapore
- December 8, 1995 : Israel
- December 8, 1995 : Sweden
- December 15, 1995 : Switzerland
- December 16, 1995 : Japan
- December 20, 1995 : Spain
- December 20, 1995 : France
- December 26, 1995 : Australia
- December 28, 1995 : Germany
- January 4, 1996 : Philippines
- Pierce Brosnan as James Bond
- Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan
- Izabella Scorupco as Natalya Simonova
- Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp
- Joe Don Baker as Jack Wade
- Judi Dench as M
- Robbie Coltrane as Valentin Zukovsky
- Tchéky Karyo as Dimitri Mishkin(as Tcheky Karyo)
- Gottfried John as Colonel Ourumov
- Alan Cumming as Boris Grishenko
- Desmond Llewelyn as Q
- Samantha Bond as Moneypenny
- Michael Kitchen as Bill Tanner
- Serena Gordon as Caroline
- Simon Kunz as Severnaya Duty Officer
The film was released after a six-year hiatus in the series caused by legal disputes, during which Timothy Dalton resigned from the role of James Bond and was replaced by Pierce Brosnan. M was also recast, with actress Judi Dench becoming the first woman to portray the character, replacing Robert Brown. The role of Miss Moneypenny was also recast, with Caroline Bliss being replaced by Samantha Bond; Desmond Llewelyn was the only actor to reprise his role, as Q. It was the first Bond film made after the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War, which provided a background for the plot. Principal photography for GoldenEye took place in the UK, Russia, Monte Carlo and Puerto Rico; it was the inaugural film production to be shot at Leavesden Studios. The first Bond film to use computer generated imagery, GoldenEye was also the final film of special effects supervisor Derek Meddings’s career, and was dedicated to his memory.
The film accumulated a worldwide gross of US$350.7 million, considerably better than Dalton’s films, without taking inflation into account. It received positive reviews, with critics viewing Brosnan as a definite improvement over his predecessor. It also received award nominations for “Best Achievement in Special Effects” and “Best Sound” from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
The name “GoldenEye” pays homage to James Bond’s creator, Ian Fleming. While working for British Naval Intelligence as a lieutenant commander, Fleming liaised with the Naval Intelligence Division to monitor developments in Spain after the Spanish Civil War in an operation codenamed Operation Goldeneye. Fleming used the name of this operation for his estate in Oracabessa, Jamaica.
In 1986, MI6 agents James Bond and Alec Trevelyan infiltrate a chemical weapons facility in Arkhangelsk, Russia. While Trevelyan is caught and presumably killed by the facility’s commanding officer, Colonel Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov, Bond manages to destroy the site before escaping. In 1995, while undergoing an assessment, Bond attempts to prevent Xenia Onatopp, a member of the Janus crime syndicate, from stealing a Eurocopter Tiger attack helicopter during a military demonstration in Monte Carlo, but is unable to prevent the theft. Returning to London, Bond oversees MI6 staff monitoring an incident in Severnaya, Siberia, after the stolen helicopter turns up at a radar facility. An EMP blast suddenly hits the site, destroying it and Russian fighter aircraft, while knocking out all satellite systems in orbit above.
The newly appointed M assigns Bond to investigate, after it is determined the blast came from a Soviet-era satellite armed with an electromagnetic pulse weapon, codenamed “GoldenEye”. Although Janus is suspected of initiating the attack, Bond suspects Ourumov, now a general, had involvement due to the weapon system requiring high-level military access. Travelling to St. Petersburg, Bond is advised by his CIA contact Jack Wade to meet former KGB agent-turned-gangster Valentin Zukovsky and have him arrange a meeting with Janus. Escorted to the meeting by Onatopp, Bond discovers that Janus is led by Trevelyan, having faked his death at Arkhangelsk, and learns he is descended from the Cossacks who collaborated with the Axis Powers.
Also, check these topics out: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie, Tomorrow Never Dies movie, X Factor UK 2019, X-Men movies in order of release date, Letterkenny Season 8, Ray Donovan Season 7 Episode 7, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Schitt’s Creek Season 6 Episode 1, AGT judges, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie, Shameless Season 10 Episode 8, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban movie, Quantum of Solace movie. GoldenEye (1995 movie). GoldenEye (1995 movie) trailer starring Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean.