Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a 2004 fantasy film directed by Alfonso Cuarón and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on J. K. Rowling’s 1999 novel of the same name. The film, which is the third instalment in the Harry Potter film series, was written by Steve Kloves and produced by Chris Columbus, David Heyman, and Mark Radcliffe.
The story follows Harry Potter’s third year at Hogwarts as he is informed that a prisoner named Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban and intends to kill him. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry’s best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. It also features well-known actors in supporting roles, including Gary Oldman as Sirius Black, David Thewlis as Professor Lupin, Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore, Emma Thompson as Sybill Trelawney and Timothy Spall as Peter Pettigrew. It is the sequel to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and is followed by Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Starring : Daniel Radcliffe / Rupert Grint
- Genre : Adventure / Family / Fantasy / Mystery
- Country : United Kingdom / United States
- Language : English
- Director : Alfonso Cuarón
- Production : Warner Bros. / 1492 Pictures / Heyday Films / P of A Productions Limited
- Distributor : Cinergia / Deliverance Pictures / Fox-Warner / Garsu Pasaulio Irasai / IMAX / Karo Premiere / Sandrew Metronome Distribution / Sandrew / Village Films / Warner Bros. / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / Argentina Video Home / HBO Max / Italia 1 / MTV3 / Moviemax Family / Nippon Television Network (NTV) / SBS6 / Sub / VT4 / Warner Bros. Home Entertainment / Warner Home Video
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban movie
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban release date
- May 23, 2004 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- May 31, 2004 : UK
- May 31, 2004 : Ireland
- June 2, 2004 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- June 2, 2004 : France
- June 2, 2004 : Philippines
- June 3, 2004 : Australia (limited)
- June 3, 2004 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- June 3, 2004 : Germany
- June 4, 2004 : Canada
- June 4, 2004 : Switzerland (Italian speaking region)
- June 4, 2004 : India
- June 4, 2004 : Singapore
- June 4, 2004 : USA
- June 9, 2004 : United Arab Emirates
- June 9, 2004 : Sweden
- June 10, 2004 : Australia
- June 17, 2004 : Israel
- June 18, 2004 : Spain
- June 26, 2004 : Japan
- July 9, 2017 : USA (re-release)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban cast
- Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
- Richard Griffiths as Uncle Vernon
- Pam Ferris as Aunt Marge
- Fiona Shaw as Aunt Petunia
- Harry Melling as Dudley Dursley
- Adrian Rawlins as James Potter
- Geraldine Somerville as Lily Potter
- Lee Ingleby as Stan Shunpike
- Lenny Henry as Shrunken Head
- Jimmy Gardner as Ernie the Bus Driver
- Gary Oldman as Sirius Black
- Jim Tavaré as Tom the Innkeeper
- Robert Hardy as Cornelius Fudge
- Abby Ford as Young Witch Maid
- Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley
The film was released on 31 May 2004 in the United Kingdom, and on 4 June 2004 in North America, as the first Harry Potter film released into IMAX theatres and to be using IMAX Technology. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards, Best Original Music Score and Best Visual Effects at the 77th Academy Awards in 2004. Prisoner of Azkaban grossed a total of $796.9 million worldwide, making it the second highest-grossing film of 2004 and received praise for Cuarón’s direction and the performances of the lead actors. It marked a notable change in the film series’ tone and directing, and is considered by many critics and fans to be one of the best Harry Potter films.
Harry Potter has been spending another dissatisfying summer with the Dursleys. When Harry’s Aunt Marge insults his parents, he loses his temper and accidentally causes her to inflate like a balloon and float away. Fed up, Harry then flees the Dursleys with his luggage. The Knight Bus delivers Harry to the Leaky Cauldron, where he is pardoned by Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge for using magic outside of Hogwarts. After reuniting with his best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, Harry learns that Sirius Black, a convicted supporter of the dark wizard Lord Voldemort, has escaped Azkaban prison and intends to kill him.
The trio return to Hogwarts for the school year on the Hogwarts Express, only for dementors to suddenly board the train, searching for Sirius. One enters the trio’s compartment, causing Harry to pass out, but new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Lupin repels the dementor with a Patronus Charm. At Hogwarts, headmaster Albus Dumbledore announces that dementors will be guarding the school while Sirius is at large. Hogwarts groundskeeper Rubeus Hagrid is announced as the new Care of Magical Creatures teacher; his first class goes awry when Draco Malfoy deliberately provokes the hippogriff Buckbeak, who attacks him. Draco exaggerates his injury, and his father Lucius Malfoy later has Buckbeak sentenced to death.
The Fat Lady’s portrait, which guards the Gryffindor quarters, is found ruined and empty. Terrified and hiding in another painting, she tells Dumbledore that Sirius has entered the castle. During a stormy Quidditch match against Hufflepuff, dementors attack Harry, causing him to fall off his broomstick. At Hogsmeade, Harry is shocked to learn that not only had Sirius been his father’s best friend and apparently betrayed them to Voldemort, but is also Harry’s godfather. Lupin privately teaches Harry to defend himself against dementors, using the Patronus Charm.
After Harry, Ron, and Hermione witness Buckbeak’s execution, Ron’s pet rat Scabbers bites him and escapes. When Ron gives chase, a large dog appears and drags both Ron and Scabbers into a hole at the Whomping Willow’s base. This leads the trio to an underground passage to the Shrieking Shack, where they discover that the dog is actually Sirius, who is an Animagus. Lupin arrives and embraces Sirius as an old friend. He admits to being a werewolf, and explains that Sirius is innocent. Sirius was falsely accused of betraying the Potters to Voldemort, as well as murdering twelve Muggles and their mutual friend, Peter Pettigrew. It is revealed that Scabbers is actually Pettigrew, an Animagus who betrayed the Potters and committed the murders.
Also, check these topics out: Spectre movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie, Devs Hulu, Shameless Season 10 Episode 8, X Factor UK 2019, Star Wars Episode 6 Return of the Jedi movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back movie, Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones movie, Pocket Monsters Episode 7, Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith movie, AGT judges. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004 movie). Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004 movie) trailer starring Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint.