The Finest Hours is a 2016 American historical drama-thriller film directed by Craig Gillespie and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. The screenplay, written by Eric Johnson, Scott Silver, and Paul Tamasy, is based on The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Most Daring Sea Rescue by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman.
The film stars Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, Ben Foster, Holliday Grainger, John Ortiz, and Eric Bana, and chronicles the historic 1952 United States Coast Guard rescue of the crew of SS Pendleton, after the ship split apart during a nor’easter off the New England coast.
- Starring : Chris Pine / Casey Affleck
- Genre : Action / Drama / History / Thriller
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Craig Gillespie
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / Whitaker Entertainment
- Distributor : Cinecolor Films / Columbia Pictures / Feelgood Entertainment / Forum Hungary / NOS Audiovisuais / Walt Disney Studios Japan / Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / Westec Media Limited / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
The Finest Hours movie
The Finest Hours release date
- January 28, 2016 : Israel
- January 29, 2016 : Canada
- January 29, 2016 : USA
- February 5, 2016 : India
- February 18, 2016 : Singapore
- February 19, 2016 : UK
- February 19, 2016 : Ireland
- February 24, 2016 : France
- February 27, 2016 : Japan
- March 2, 2016 : Philippines
- March 11, 2016 : Spain
- March 31, 2016 : Germany
- April 22, 2016 : Sweden
The Finest Hours cast
- Chris Pine as Bernie Webber
- Casey Affleck as Ray Sybert
- Ben Foster as Richard Livesey
- Eric Bana as Daniel Cluff
- Holliday Grainger as Miriam Webber
- John Ortiz as Wallace Quirey
- Kyle Gallner as Andy Fitzgerald
- John Magaro as Ervin Maske
- Graham McTavish as Frank Fauteux
- Michael Raymond-James as D.A. Brown
- Beau Knapp as Mel Gouthro
- Josh Stewart as Tchuda Southerland
- Abraham Benrubi as George ‘Tiny’ Myers
- Keiynan Lonsdale as Eldon Hanan
- Rachel Brosnahan as Bea Hansen
The Finest Hours was released in the Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D formats on January 29, 2016. The film received mixed to positive reviews from critics, and was a box office flop, grossing just $52 million against its $70–80 million production budget.
Bernard “Bernie” Webber, a crewman at Coast Guard Station Chatham, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod, has fallen in love with a local girl, Miriam Pentinen. The two plan to marry on April 16, but in accordance with Coast Guard regulations, Bernie must seek permission from the station’s commanding officer, Daniel Cluff, although it is usually just a formality. On the day he is due to ask permission, February 18, 1952, the oil tanker SS Pendleton shears in half off the Chatham coast after getting caught in a nor’easter. With the majority of the station’s crew already underway with the rescue of the similarly damaged SS Fort Mercer, Bernie is dispatched to pilot motor lifeboat CG 36500 to rescue the crew of Pendleton. Andrew Fitzgerald, Ervin Maske, and Richard P. Livesey volunteer to join Bernie on the rescue mission.
Meanwhile, the Pendleton’s engineer, Ray Sybert, as the surviving senior officer, organizes the surviving seamen to steer the sinking stern of the tanker onto a submerged reef, where it can lodge until rescuers arrive.
When Miriam hears that Bernie is leading the rescue effort, she, like a number of townspeople, thinks this is a suicide mission. Few people in Chatham trust Cluff, since he is not from the area and does not know its treacherous weather. Miriam drives to the station, demanding that Cluff call Bernie back. Cluff refuses, and brusquely orders Miriam out.
Between Chatham Harbor and the open sea lies a bar, a series of shoals that are very dangerous even in good weather. Bernie must time bursts of his engine to ride each approaching wave before it breaks as he pilots CG 36500 across the bar. Although he makes it over the bar, he loses his compass.
Bernie steers CG 36500 to the stricken tanker. Although his boat’s designated capacity is only 12 people, Bernie manages to rescue 32 crewmen. The stern of Pendleton begins sinking more rapidly during the rescue and goes down shortly after the last crewman comes aboard Bernie’s boat. Relying on his knowledge of the coast and prevailing winds in place of his compass, Bernie steers CG 36500 toward home—a task made more difficult as Chatham loses power. Miriam and the other townspeople drive their cars to the pier and turn on their headlights to guide Bernie in.
Also, check these topics out: Pete’s Dragon movie, The BFG movie, Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl movie, X Factor UK 2019, Fire Force Season 2 Episode 1, God Friended Me Season 2 Episode 11, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, X-Men movies in order of release date, AGT judges, Harley Quinn Season 1 Episode 6, NCIS: Los Angeles Season 11 Episode 12, Inside Out movie, The Good Dinosaur movie, FBI Season 2 Episode 11. The Finest Hours (2016 movie). The Finest Hours (2016 movie) trailer starring Chris Pine, Casey Affleck.