The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is a 2003 epic fantasy adventure film directed by Peter Jackson, based on the third volume of J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. The film is the third instalment in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and was produced by Barrie M. Osborne, Jackson and Fran Walsh, and written by Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Jackson.
The film features an ensemble cast including Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, John Rhys-Davies, Bernard Hill, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Hugo Weaving, Miranda Otto, David Wenham, Karl Urban, John Noble, Andy Serkis, Ian Holm, and Sean Bean. It was preceded by The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) and The Two Towers (2002).
- Starring : Elijah Wood / Ian McKellen
- Genre : Adventure / Drama / Fantasy
- Country : New Zealand / United States
- Language : English / Quenya / Old English / Sindarin
- Director : Peter Jackson
- Production : New Line Cinema / WingNut Films / The Saul Zaentz Company
- Distributor : New Line Cinema / A-Film Distribution / Alliance Atlantis Communications / Aurum Producciones / Cinergia / Deltamac Co. / Entertainment Film Distributors / FS Film / Fox-Warner / Herald Film Company / Karo Premiere / Medusa Distribuzione / Metropolitan Filmexport / Roadshow Film Distributors / Svensk Filmindustri (SF) / Village Roadshow Entertainment / Warner Bros. / A-Film Home Entertainment / Alliance Atlantis Home Video / Argentina Video Home / Entertainment in Video / HBO Max / Katholieke Radio Omroep (KRO) / MGM Worldwide Television / Myndform / Nelonen / Netflix / New Line Home Entertainment / New Line Home Video / Pony Canyon / Rainboworld Entertainment / Roadshow Entertainment Video / Roadshow Entertainment / SBS6 / SBS9 / SF Norge A/S / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / Turner Classic Movies (TCM) / Warner Home Video / Warner Home Vídeo
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King movie
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King release date
- December 3, 2003 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)
- December 10, 2003 : Germany (Berlin) (premiere)
- December 11, 2003 : UK (London) (premiere)
- December 15, 2003 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- December 17, 2003 : Canada
- December 17, 2003 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- December 17, 2003 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- December 17, 2003 : Germany
- December 17, 2003 : Spain
- December 17, 2003 : France
- December 17, 2003 : UK
- December 17, 2003 : Ireland
- December 17, 2003 : Sweden
- December 17, 2003 : USA
- December 18, 2003 : Israel
- December 18, 2003 : Singapore
- December 26, 2003 : United Arab Emirates
- December 26, 2003 : Australia
- January 9, 2004 : Philippines
- January 22, 2004 : Japan (Tokyo) (premiere)
- February 6, 2004 : India
- February 14, 2004 : Japan
- February 5, 2011 : Canada (Digital Film Festival)
- June 28, 2011 : USA (extended version) (re-release) (limited)
- December 8, 2012 : USA (re-release)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cast
- Noel Appleby as Everard Proudfoot
- Ali Astin as Elanor Gamgee(as Alexandra Astin)
- Sean Astin as Sam
- David Aston as Gondorian Soldier 3
- John Bach as Madril
- Sean Bean as Boromir
- Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
- Orlando Bloom as Legolas
- Billy Boyd as Pippin
- Sadwyn Brophy as Eldarion
- Alistair Browning as Damrod
- Marton Csokas as Celeborn
- Richard Edge as Gondorian Soldier 1
- Jason Fitch as Uruk 2
- Bernard Hill as Theoden
Continuing the plot of The Two Towers, Frodo, Sam and Gollum are making their final way toward Mount Doom in Mordor in order to destroy the One Ring, unbeknownst to Gollum’s true intentions, while Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and the rest are joining forces together against Sauron and his legions in Minas Tirith.
The Return of the King was financed and distributed by American studio New Line Cinema, but filmed and edited entirely in Jackson’s native New Zealand, concurrently with the other two parts of the trilogy. Released on 17 December 2003, the film was highly acclaimed by critics and fans alike, who considered it to be a landmark in filmmaking and an achievement in the fantasy film genre. It has grossed over $1.120 billion worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film of 2003 and the 2nd highest-grossing film of all time at the time of its release, and is currently the 26th highest grossing film as of November 2019.
The Return of the King is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential fantasy films ever made. The film won many awards, including winning all 11 Oscars for which it was nominated at the 76th Academy Awards, therefore tying for the record for the most Academy Awards won by a single film and holding the record for the highest clean sweep at the Oscars.
Two Hobbits, Sméagol and Déagol, are fishing when Déagol discovers the One Ring in the river. Sméagol is ensnared by the Ring, and kills his friend for it. He retreats into the Misty Mountains as the Ring twists his body and mind, until he becomes the creature Gollum. Centuries later, during the War of the Ring, Gandalf leads Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and King Théoden to Isengard, where they reunite with Merry and Pippin. Gandalf retrieves the defeated Saruman’s palantír. Pippin later looks into the seeing-stone, and is telepathically attacked by Sauron. Gandalf deduces that Sauron will attack Gondor’s capital Minas Tirith. He rides there to warn Gondor’s steward Denethor, taking Pippin with him.
Gollum leads Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee to Minas Morgul, where they watch the Witch-king, leader of the nine Nazgûl, lead an army of Orcs towards Gondor. The hobbits begin climbing a stair carved in the cliff face that will take them into Mordor via a ‘secret way’ – unaware that Gollum plans to kill them and take the Ring. The Witch-king and his forces strike and overwhelm Osgiliath, forcing Faramir and his garrison to retreat to Minas Tirith.
Gollum disposes of the Hobbits’ food, blaming Sam. Believing that Sam desires the ring, Frodo tells him to go home, before he and Gollum continue to the tunnel leading to Mordor. Upon arriving, Gollum tricks him into venturing into the lair of the giant spider Shelob. Frodo narrowly escapes and confronts Gollum, telling him that he must destroy the Ring for both their sakes. Gollum attacks Frodo, but falls down a chasm. Frodo continues on, but Shelob discovers, paralyses, and binds him. However, Sam arrives and injures Shelob, driving her away. Sam hides as Orcs appear and take Frodo with them. The Orcs start a fight over ownership of Frodo’s mithril vest, allowing Sam to escape with Frodo and continue their journey.
Also, check these topics out: The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Power Season 6 Episode 11, Strictly Come Dancing Kelvin Fletcher, Pocket Monsters Episode 6, X Factor UK 2019, The Blacklist Season 7 Episode 11, One Piece Episode 915, Van Helsing Season 4 Episode 13, Hawaii Five-0 Season 10 Episode 12, X-Men movies in order of release date, Fortnite x Star Wars, AGT judges, The Bold Type Season 4 Episode 1, Transformers Dark of the Moon movie. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003 movie). The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) trailer starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen | Movie.