X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a 2009 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics fictional character Wolverine. It is the fourth installment of the X-Men film series, the first installment of the Wolverine trilogy within the series, and a spin-off prequel to X-Men (2000).
The film was directed by Gavin Hood, written by David Benioff and Skip Woods, and produced by Hugh Jackman, who stars as the titular character, alongside Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, and Ryan Reynolds. The film’s plot details Wolverine’s childhood as James Howlett, his time with Major William Stryker’s Team X, the bonding of Wolverine’s skeleton with the indestructible metal adamantium during the Weapon X program and his relationship with his half-brother Victor Creed.
- Starring : Liev Schreiber / Danny Huston
- Genre : Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi
- Country : United States / United Kingdom
- Language : English
- Director : Gavin Hood
- Production : Twentieth Century Fox / Marvel Enterprises / Dune Entertainment / Donners’ Company / Seed Productions / Ingenious Film Partners / Big Screen Productions / Bad Hat Harry Productions
- Distributor : 20th Century Fox Argentina / 20th Century Fox / 20th Century Fox de Venezuela / Bontonfilm / FS Film / Forum Cinemas / Hispano Foxfilms S.A.E. / Odeon / Twentieth Century Fox C.I.S. / Twentieth Century Fox / Warner Bros. F.E. / Warner Bros. / 20th Century Fox Entertainment / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / Film1 / Home Box Office (HBO) / Hotstar / Svensk Filmindustri (SF) / Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment / fX Network
X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie
X-Men Origins: Wolverine release date
- April 8, 2009 : Australia (Sydney) (premiere)
- April 27, 2009 : USA (Tempe, Arizona) (premiere)
- April 29, 2009 : Australia
- April 29, 2009 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- April 29, 2009 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- April 29, 2009 : Germany
- April 29, 2009 : France
- April 29, 2009 : UK
- April 29, 2009 : Ireland
- April 29, 2009 : Singapore
- April 30, 2009 : United Arab Emirates
- April 30, 2009 : Spain
- April 30, 2009 : Israel
- April 30, 2009 : Philippines
- May 1, 2009 : Canada
- May 1, 2009 : Sweden
- May 1, 2009 : USA
- June 19, 2009 : India
- September 3, 2009 : Japan (Tokyo) (premiere)
- September 11, 2009 : Japan
X-Men Origins: Wolverine cast
- Hugh Jackman as Logan / Wolverine
- Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed
- Danny Huston as Stryker
- Will.i.am as John Wraith
- Lynn Collins as Kayla Silverfox
- Kevin Durand as Fred Dukes
- Dominic Monaghan as Chris Bradley / Bolt
- Taylor Kitsch as Remy LeBeau
- Daniel Henney as Agent Zero
- Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson
- Tim Pocock as Scott Summers
- Julia Blake as Heather Hudson
- Max Cullen as Travis Hudson
- Troye Sivan as James
- Michael-James Olsen as Young Victor
The film was mostly shot in Australia and New Zealand, with Canada also serving as a location. Filming took place from January to May 2008. Production and post-production were troubled, with delays due to the weather and Jackman’s other commitments, an incomplete screenplay that was still being written in Los Angeles while principal photography rolled in Australia, conflicts arising between director Hood and Fox’s executives, and an unfinished workprint being leaked on the Internet one month before the film’s debut.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine was released worldwide on May 1, 2009 by 20th Century Fox. While critics praised the cast’s acting (particularly by Jackman and Schreiber), humor and the musical score, they disliked what they considered to be poorly-rendered CGI, a convoluted plot, overabundance of characters, and deviations from the source material, particularly the portrayal of Deadpool’s character (to the point where several potshots were taken at this portrayal in the character’s later films). Despite this, the film opened at the top of the box office and grossed $179 million in the United States and Canada and over $373 million worldwide.
A second film, The Wolverine, was released in 2013. A third film, Logan, was released in 2017 and cited by critics as one of the best superhero films.
In 1845, James Howlett, a boy living in Canada, witnesses his father being killed by groundskeeper Thomas Logan. Anxiety activates the boy’s mutation: bone claws protrude from his knuckles and he impales Thomas, who reveals that he is James’ birth father before dying. James flees along with Thomas’ other son Victor Creed, who is James’ half-brother and has a healing factor mutation like James. They spend the next century as soldiers, fighting in the American Civil War, both World Wars and the Vietnam War. In Vietnam, the increasingly violent Victor attempts to rape a Vietnamese woman and kills a senior officer who tries to stop him. James returns to Victor upon the commotion, and ignorant of his brother’s intent, he rushes to defend him. This results in the pair being sentenced to execution by firing squad, which they survive due to their mutant healing abilities. Major William Stryker approaches them in military custody and offers them membership in Team X, a group of mutants including Agent Zero, Wade Wilson, John Wraith, Fred Dukes and Chris Bradley. They join the team for a few years, with James using the alias Logan, but Victor and the group’s lack of empathy for human life causes Logan to leave.
Six years later, Logan works as a logger in Canada, where he lives with his girlfriend Kayla Silverfox. Stryker and Zero approach Logan, reporting that Wade and Bradley have been killed; someone is targeting the team. Logan refuses to rejoin Stryker, but after finding Kayla’s bloodied body in the woods, realizes that Victor is responsible. He finds Victor at a local bar, but Logan loses the subsequent fight. Afterward, Stryker explains that Victor has gone rogue and offers Logan a way to become strong enough to get his revenge. Logan undergoes a painful operation to reinforce his skeleton with adamantium, a virtually indestructible metal. Once the procedure is complete, Stryker orders that Logan’s memory be erased so he can be used as Stryker’s personal weapon, but Logan overhears and escapes to a nearby farm, where an elderly couple takes him in. Zero kills the couple the following morning and tries to kill Logan, but Logan takes down Zero’s helicopter and swears to kill both Stryker and Victor.
Also, check these topics out: X-Men First Class movie, The World Is Not Enough movie, Die Another Day movie, X Factor UK 2019, Logan movie, AGT judges, The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, Casino Royale movie, X-Men Apocalypse movie, The Wolverine movie, Deadpool movie, X-Men Days of Future Past movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009 movie). X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009 movie) trailer starring Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston.