A Christmas Carol is a 2009 American 3D computer-animated dark fantasy film written, co-produced and directed by Robert Zemeckis. It is a film adaptation of Charles Dickens’s 1843 story of the same name and stars Jim Carrey in a multitude of roles, including Ebenezer Scrooge as a young, middle-aged and old man and the three ghosts who haunt Scrooge.
The film also features supporting roles voiced by Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins, Robin Wright and Cary Elwes. Produced through the process of motion capture, a technique Zemeckis used in his previous films The Polar Express (2004) and Beowulf (2007), it is Disney’s third film retelling of A Christmas Carol, following 1983’s Mickey’s Christmas Carol and 1992’s The Muppet Christmas Carol. It is also the first of only two films produced by ImageMovers Digital.
- Starring : Jim Carrey / Gary Oldman
- Genre : Animation / Drama / Family / Fantasy
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Robert Zemeckis
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / ImageMovers Digital / ImageMovers / FortyFour Studios
- Distributor : Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / Audio Visual Entertainment / Forum Cinemas / Forum Hungary / Zon Lusomundo Audiovisuais / ABC Family / BBC One / Disney Channel / Disney XD / Disney+ / Film1 / Freeform / GO! / ITV 1 / SBS6 / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / The CW Network (The CW) / UTV Motion Pictures / VIER / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
A Christmas Carol movie
A Christmas Carol release date
- November 3, 2009 : UK (London) (premiere)
- November 4, 2009 : UK
- November 4, 2009 : Ireland
- November 5, 2009 : Australia
- November 5, 2009 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- November 5, 2009 : Germany
- November 6, 2009 : Canada
- November 6, 2009 : Sweden
- November 6, 2009 : USA
- November 13, 2009 : Spain
- November 14, 2009 : Japan
- November 19, 2009 : Singapore
- November 25, 2009 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- November 25, 2009 : France
- November 25, 2009 : Philippines
- November 26, 2009 : Israel
- December 3, 2009 : United Arab Emirates
A Christmas Carol cast
- Jim Carrey as Scrooge / Ghost of Christmas Past / Scrooge as a Young Boy / Scrooge as a Teenage Boy / Scrooge as a Young Man / Scrooge as a Middle Aged Man / Ghost of Christmas Present / Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come
- Steve Valentine as Funerary Undertaker / Topper
- Daryl Sabara as Undertaker’s Apprentice / Tattered Caroler / Beggar Boy / Peter Cratchit / Well Dressed Caroler
- Sage Ryan as Tattered Caroler
- Amber Gainey Meade as Tattered Caroler / Well Dressed Caroler
- Ryan Ochoa as Tattered Caroler / Beggar Boy / Young Cratchit Boy / Ignorance Boy / Young Boy with Sleigh
- Bobbi Page as Tattered Caroler / Well Dressed Caroler
- Ron Bottitta as Tattered Caroler / Well Dressed Caroler
- Sammi Hanratty as Beggar Boy / Young Cratchit Girl / Want Girl
- Julian Holloway as Fat Cook / Portly Gentleman #2 / Business Man #3
- Gary Oldman as Bob Cratchit / Marley / Tiny Tim
- Colin Firth as Fred
- Cary Elwes as Portly Gentleman #1 / Dick Wilkins / Mad Fiddler / Guest #2 / Business Man #1
- Robin Wright as Fan / Belle(as Robin Wright Penn)
- Bob Hoskins as Fezziwig / Old Joe
The film was released in Disney Digital 3D and IMAX 3D on November 3, 2009 by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It received its world premiere in London, coinciding with the switching-on of the annual Oxford Street and Regent Street Christmas lights, which in 2009 had a Dickens theme. The film received mixed reviews from critics, who praised its visuals and the performances of Carrey and Oldman, but criticized its dark tone. It earned $325.3 million on a $175–200 million budget.
In 1843, on Christmas Eve, Ebenezer Scrooge, a miserly old moneylender at a London counting house, does not share the merriment of Christmas. He declines his cheerful nephew Fred’s invitation to a Christmas dinner party, and rejects two gentlemen’s offer to collect money for charity. His loyal employee Bob Cratchit asks Scrooge to allow him to have a day off on Christmas Day to spend time with his family, to which Scrooge reluctantly agrees before leaving. In his house, Scrooge encounters the ghost of his deceased business partner Jacob Marley, who warns him to repent his wicked ways or he will be condemned in the afterlife like he was, carrying heavy chains forged from his own greediness. Jacob informs Scrooge that he will be haunted by three spirits, who will guide him out of his misery.
First, Scrooge is visited by the candle-like Ghost of Christmas Past, who takes him back in time to his childhood and early adult life. They visit Scrooge’s boarding school and Scrooge sees his sister Fan, who became the mother of Fred. Scrooge later begins a successful career in business and money lending as an employee under Fezziwig, and he becomes engaged to a woman named Belle. However, the Ghost shows Scrooge how Belle left him when he became obsessed with wealth. A devastated Scrooge extinguishes the spirit with its candle snuffer cap and is rocketed back to the present.
Next, Scrooge meets the merry Ghost of Christmas Present, who shows him the joys and wonder of Christmas Day. Scrooge and the Ghost visit Bob’s house, learning his family is content with their small dinner. All the while, Scrooge starts to take pity on Bob’s ill son Tiny Tim. The Ghost abruptly ages, commenting that Tiny Tim will likely not survive until next Christmas. The Ghost warns Scrooge about the evils of “Ignorance” and “Want”; Big Ben begins tolling midnight as “Ignorance” and “Want” manifest themselves before Scrooge as two wretched children who grow into violent, insane individuals, leaving the spirit withering away.
Finally, the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come arrives, appearing as a dark shadow, and takes Scrooge into the future. He witnesses a group of businessmen discussing the death of an unnamed colleague, saying they would only attend the funeral if lunch is provided. After being chased across London by the Ghost, Scrooge recognizes his charwoman Mrs. Dilber selling the stolen possessions of the deceased. Shortly afterwards, Scrooge sees the aforementioned colleague’s body on a bed, followed by a vision of a family who is relieved that he is dead, as they have more time to pay off their debt. The spirit transports Scrooge to Bob’s residence, discovering that Tiny Tim has died. Scrooge is then escorted to a cemetery, where the Ghost points out his own grave, revealing Scrooge as the man who died. Realizing the consequences upon his actions, Scrooge decides to change his ways just as the Ghost forces him to fall into his empty coffin lying in a deep grave that sits above the fires of Hell.
Also, check these topics out: Bedtime Stories movie, X Factor UK 2019, The L Word: Generation Q Season 1 Episode 5, The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, High School Musical 3 Senior Year movie, National Treasure Book of Secrets movie, WALL-E movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, AGT judges, Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie, Bolt movie, Old Dogs movie, The Muppets movie. A Christmas Carol (2009 movie). A Christmas Carol (2009 movie) trailer starring Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman.