Dinosaur is a 2000 American computer-animated adventure film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and The Secret Lab. The 39th Disney animated feature film,1 it follows a heroic young Iguanodon who was adopted and raised by a family of lemurs on a tropical island.
After surviving a devastating meteor shower, the family move out for their new home and befriend a herd of dinosaurs along the way while on a journey to the “Nesting Grounds”. Unfortunately, they are being hunted down by predators such as Carnotaurus and Velociraptors.
- Starring : D. B. Sweeney / Alfre Woodard
- Genre : Animation / Adventure / Family / Thriller
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Eric Leighton / Ralph Zondag
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / The Secret Lab (TSL) / Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Distributor : Buena Vista Pictures / Bandur Film / Buena Vista International / Falcon / Gaumont Buena Vista International (GBVI) / Kommunenes Filmcentral (KF) / Prooptiki / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / Audio Visual Enterprises / Buena Vista Home Entertainment / Buena Vista Home Video / PBS Kids Sprout / SBS6 / Showtime Networks / Walt Disney Home Video / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Dinosaur release date
- May 13, 2000 : USA (premiere)
- May 19, 2000 : USA
- June 15, 2000 : Australia
- June 15, 2000 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- June 15, 2000 : Germany
- June 15, 2000 : Philippines (Davao)
- June 15, 2000 : Singapore
- June 29, 2000 : Israel
- July 30, 2000 : Canada
- July 30, 2000 : Spain
- October 13, 2000 : UK
- October 20, 2000 : Ireland
- October 27, 2000 : India
- November 9, 2000 : Switzerland
- November 15, 2000 : France (limited)
- November 17, 2000 : Sweden
- November 29, 2000 : France
- December 9, 2000 : United Arab Emirates (Dubai International Film Festival)
- December 9, 2000 : Japan
- Alfre Woodard as Plio(voice)
- Ossie Davis as Yar(voice)
- Max Casella as Zini(voice)
- Hayden Panettiere as Suri(voice)
- D.B. Sweeney as Aladar(voice)
- Samuel E. Wright as Kron(voice)
- Peter Siragusa as Bruton(voice)
- Julianna Margulies as Neera(voice)
- Joan Plowright as Baylene(voice)
- Della Reese as Eema(voice)
- Matt Adler as (voice)
- Sandina Bailo-Lape as (voice)(as Sandina Bailolape)
- Edie Lehmann Boddicker as (voice)
- Zachary Bostrom as (voice)
- Cathy Cavadini as (voice)(as Catherine Cavadini)
The initial idea was conceived in 1986 by Phil Tippett and Paul Verhoeven where it was conceived as a darker, naturalistic film about dinosaurs. The project underwent numerous iterations with multiple directors attached. In 1994, Walt Disney Feature Animation began development on the project and spent several years developing the software to create the dinosaurs. While the characters in Dinosaur are computer-generated, most of the backgrounds are live-action and were filmed on location. A number of backgrounds were found in various continents such as the Americas and Asia; various tepuis and Angel Falls also appear in the film.
Dinosaur was released on May 19, 2000 to mixed reviews from film critics who praised the animation and soundtrack, but criticized the story for a lack of originality. The film grossed over $349 million worldwide, becoming the fifth highest-grossing film of 2000.
In a nearby breeding ground, a Carnotaurus triggers a stampede which forces an Iguanodon mother to abandon her nest. One surviving egg journeys through several terrains before landing on a faraway island populated by prehistoric lemurs. Plio, the daughter of their leader, Yar, names the hatched baby Aladar and raise him as her adopted son, despite Yar’s initial objections.
Years later, a fully grown Aladar and the lemurs take part in a mating ritual, where his friend Zini is unable to achieve a mate. Moments after the ritual ends, they are interrupted when a gigantic meteor crashes into the Earth, creating an explosion-like tsunami that destroys the island and annihilates all the lemurs. However, Aladar, along with the lemurs, flee and survive by leaping across the sea towards the mainland. They look back at their ruined home and mourn for the loss of their loved ones before deciding to move on.
While crossing deserted wastelands, the group are attacked by a pack of Velociraptors. After escaping from them, the family encounter a massive herd of dinosaurs led by two Iguanodons named Kron, who is their leader, and his lieutenant Bruton, who are on a journey to the “Nesting Grounds”. After the herd rest for the night, Aladar and the lemurs befriend Baylene, an elderly Brachiosaurus; her friend Eema, a Styracosaurus; and Url, her pet dog-like Ankylosaurus. The next morning, the herd reach a seemingly dried lake which they have relied on for past trips. Kron orders the herd to move on until Aladar and his friends discover water under the surface, thereby saving the herd from dehydration.
Also, check these topics out: X-Men movies in order of release date, The Jungle Book 2 movie 2003, The Santa Clause 2 movie, Finding Nemo movie, AGT judges, Monsters Inc movie, Grace and Frankie Season 6, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Snow Dogs movie, Peter Pan 2 movie, Doctor Who Season 12 Episode 2, AGT Champions Duo Transcend blindfold, X Factor UK 2019, Lilo & Stitch movie. Dinosaur (2000 movie). Dinosaur (2000 movie) trailer starring D. B. Sweeney, Alfre Woodard.