Ice Age is a 2002 American computer-animated comedy film directed by Chris Wedge and co-directed by Carlos Saldanha from a story by Michael J. Wilson. Produced by Blue Sky Studios as its first feature film, it was released by 20th Century Fox on March 15, 2002. The film features the voices of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, and Denis Leary.
Set during the days of the ice age, the film centers around three main characters – Manny (Romano), a no-nonsense woolly mammoth; Sid (Leguizamo), a loudmouthed ground sloth; and Diego (Leary), a sardonic saber-tooth tiger -who come across a human baby and work together to return it to its tribe.
Additionally, the film occasionally follows Scrat, a speechless “saber-toothed squirrel” voiced by Wedge who is perpetually searching for a place in the ground to bury his acorn.
- Starring : Ray Romano / John Leguizamo
- Genre : Animation / Adventure / Comedy / Family / Fantasy
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Chris Wedge / Carlos Saldanha
- Production : Twentieth Century Fox / Blue Sky Studios / Twentieth Century Fox Animation
- Distributor : Twentieth Century Fox / Fox Network / 20th Century Fox Argentina / 20th Century Fox Norway / 20th Century Fox Sweden / 20th Century Fox / Cinemark / Fox-Warner / Gemini Film / Hispano Foxfilms S.A.E. / Twentieth Century Fox Film Company / UGC-Fox Distribution (UFD) / 20th Century Fox Entertainment / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / ABC Family / Discovery Family Channel / Disney Channel / Excel Media (Guangdong) Co. / FOX / FS Film / Film1 / Freeform / Gativideo / Hub Television Network / PBS Kids Sprout / SF Film / Star Channel Plus / TV3 / Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment / Yorin
Ice Age movie
Ice Age release date
- March 12, 2002 : USA (premiere)
- March 15, 2002 : Israel (premiere)
- March 15, 2002 : Sweden
- March 15, 2002 : USA
- March 21, 2002 : Australia
- March 21, 2002 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- March 21, 2002 : Germany
- March 21, 2002 : Israel
- March 22, 2002 : UK
- March 22, 2002 : Ireland
- March 26, 2002 : Philippines (limited)
- April 3, 2002 : Philippines
- April 10, 2002 : United Arab Emirates
- May 3, 2002 : India
- June 26, 2002 : France
- July 12, 2002 : Spain
- August 3, 2002 : Japan
- October 28, 2002 : Japan (Tokyo International Film Festival)
Ice Age cast
- Ray Romano as Manfred(voice)
- John Leguizamo as Sid(voice)
- Denis Leary as Diego(voice)
- Goran Visnjic as Soto(voice)
- Jack Black as Zeke(voice)
- Cedric the Entertainer as Carl(voice)
- Stephen Root as Frank / Start(voice)
- Diedrich Bader as Oscar(voice)
- Alan Tudyk as Lenny / Oscar / Dab(voice)
- Lorri Bagley as Jennifer(voice)
- Jane Krakowski as Rachel(voice)
- Peter Ackerman as Dodo / Macrauchenia(voice)
- P.J. Benjamin as Dodo(voice)
- Josh Hamilton as Dodo / Aardvark(voice)
- Chris Wedge as Dodo / Scrat(voice)
Ice Age was originally intended as a 2D animated film developed by Fox Animation Studios, but eventually became the first full-length animated film for the newly-reformed Blue Sky, which had been reshaped from a special FX house to a CG animation studio. Focus shifted from making an action-adventure drama film to a more comedy-oriented one, and several writers, such as Michael Berg and Peter Ackerman, were brought on to bring out a wittier tone.
Upon release, Ice Age received mostly positive reviews and was nominated at the 75th Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature, losing to Spirited Away. It was a box office success and grossed over $383 million, starting the Ice Age franchise, being followed by four sequels: Ice Age: The Meltdown in 2006, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in 2009, Ice Age: Continental Drift in 2012, and Ice Age: Collision Course in 2016.
A saber-toothed squirrel known as Scrat attempts to find a place to store his acorn for the winter. Eventually, as he tries to stomp it into the ground, he inadvertently causes a large crack to form in the ice that extends for miles before setting off a large avalanche which nearly crushes him. He barely escapes but finds himself getting stepped on by a herd of prehistoric animals migrating south in order to escape the forthcoming ice age. Sid, a clumsy ground sloth, is left behind by his family and decides to move on by himself, but is attacked by two prehistoric rhinos after ruining their meal and making them angry. Sid is soon rescued by Manny, a gruff woolly mammoth heading north, who fights the rhinos off and continues on his path. Sid joins Manny, not wanting to be alone and unprotected. Manny is annoyed by Sid’s outgoing demeanor and wishes to migrate on his own, but Sid nonetheless continues to follow Manny. Meanwhile, Soto, the leader of a pack of saber-toothed tigers, wants revenge on a group of humans for killing half of his pack, by eating the chief’s infant son, Roshan, alive. Soto leads a raid on the human camp, during which the baby’s mother is separated from everyone else and jumps down a waterfall upon being cornered by Soto’s lieutenant, Diego. As punishment for his failure to retrieve the baby, Diego is sent to find and retrieve the baby.
Later, Sid and Manny encounter the mother struggling out of the lake, having survived her plunge. The mother only has enough strength to entrust her baby to Manny before she disappears into the water. After much persuasion by Sid, they decide to return the baby, but when they reach the human settlement, they find it deserted. They meet up with Diego, who convinces the pair to let him help by tracking the humans. The four travel on, with Diego secretly leading them to Half-Peak where his pack is waiting to ambush them.
After encountering several misadventures on their way, the group reaches a cave with several cave paintings made by humans. There, Sid and Diego learn about Manny’s past and his previous interactions with the human hunters, in which his family was killed, leaving Manny a loner. Later, Manny, Sid, Diego, and the baby almost reach their destination, Half-Peak, only to encounter a river of lava. Manny and Sid, along with the baby, make it across safely, but Diego freezes, about to fall into the lava. Manny saves him, narrowly missing certain death by falling into the lava himself. The herd takes a break for the night, and the baby takes his first walking steps towards Diego, who starts to have a change of heart about his mission.
Also, check these topics out: Grown-ish Season 3 Episode 2, Ice Age The Meltdown movie, Breaking Dawn Part 1 movie, X Factor UK 2019, AGT judges, Power Season 6 Episode 14, SAG Awards winners 2020, Kidding Season 2 Episode 1, AGT Champions Quick Style Ain’t No Sunshine, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Lincoln Rhyme Season 1 Episode 3, X-Men movies in order of release date, Sergio movie, Harley Quinn Season 1 Episode 9. Ice Age (2002 movie). Ice Age (2002 movie) trailer starring Ray Romano, John Leguizamo.