Lilo & Stitch is a 2002 American animated adventure science fiction comedy-drama film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Disney’s 42nd animated feature film, it was written and directed by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders (who is the voice of Stitch), and features the voices of Daveigh Chase, Tia Carrere, David Ogden Stiers, Kevin McDonald, Ving Rhames, Jason Scott Lee, and Kevin Michael Richardson.
It was the second of three Disney animated features (the others being Mulan and Brother Bear) produced primarily at the Florida animation studio located at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (known as “Disney-MGM Studios” during production) in Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida. It was released on June 21, 2002, to positive reviews and was nominated for the 2002 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. That Academy Award was won by Studio Ghibli’s 2001 film Spirited Away, which was also distributed in the United States by Walt Disney Pictures, and also starred Chase and Stiers in the English version.
- Starring : Daveigh Chase / Tia Carrere
- Genre : Animation / Adventure / Comedy / Drama / Family / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
- Country : United States
- Language : English / Hawaiian
- Director : Dean DeBlois / Chris Sanders
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / Walt Disney Animation Studios / Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida
- Distributor : Buena Vista Pictures / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / B&H Film Distribution / Bandur Film / Buena Vista International / Cascade Film / Gaumont Buena Vista International (GBVI) / The Walt Disney Company / Walt Disney Company Nordic / ABC Family / Buena Vista Home Entertainment / Buena Vista Home Video / Channel 4 Television Corporation / Disney Channel / Disney Junior / Freeform / Gativideo / Netflix / Walt Disney Home Entertainment / Walt Disney Home Video / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Lilo & Stitch movie
Lilo & Stitch release date
- June 16, 2002 : USA (premiere)
- June 21, 2002 : Canada
- June 21, 2002 : USA
- June 22, 2002 : France
- June 27, 2002 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- July 4, 2002 : Germany
- July 4, 2002 : Israel
- July 5, 2002 : Spain
- August 6, 2002 : Philippines (premiere)
- August 14, 2002 : Philippines (Davao)
- August 15, 2002 : Philippines (Manila)
- September 6, 2002 : Sweden
- September 19, 2002 : Australia
- October 4, 2002 : UK
- October 18, 2002 : Ireland
- March 8, 2003 : Japan
Lilo & Stitch cast
- Daveigh Chase as Lilo(voice)
- Chris Sanders as Stitch(voice)(as Christopher Michael Sanders)
- Tia Carrere as Nani(voice)
- David Ogden Stiers as Jumba(voice)
- Kevin McDonald as Pleakley(voice)
- Ving Rhames as Cobra Bubbles(voice)
- Zoe Caldwell as Grand Councilwoman(voice)
- Jason Scott Lee as David Kawena(voice)
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Captain Gantu(voice)
- Susan Hegarty as Rescue Lady(voice)
- Amy Hill as Mrs. Hasagawa(voice)
- Steve Alterman as (voice)
- Emily Anderson as (voice)
- Jack Angel as Alien Guard(voice)
- Bill Asing as (voice)
The film’s story revolves around two eccentric and mischievous individuals: a young Hawaiian girl named Lilo Pelekai, who is raised by her older sister Nani after their parents died in a car accident, and a blue extraterrestrial animal-like creature named Experiment 626, who gets adopted by Lilo as her “dog” and is given the name “Stitch”. Stitch, who is genetically engineered by his scientist creator to cause chaos and destruction, initially uses Lilo to avoid being captured by an intergalactic federation, but the two individuals develop a close bond through the Hawaiian concept of ʻohana, or extended family. This bond causes Stitch to reconsider, and later defy, his intended destructive purpose in order to keep his family together.
The success of the film spawned a franchise. A direct-to-video sequel called Stitch! The Movie was released on August 26, 2003. This was followed by a television series, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, which ran from September 20, 2003, to July 29, 2006. A second direct-to-video sequel, Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch, was released on August 30, 2005. A third sequel, a television film titled Leroy & Stitch, was released on June 23, 2006, as the conclusion to the TV series. An anime series that succeeded the original television series called Stitch! ran in Japan from October 8, 2008, to June 19, 2011, with TV specials broadcast in 2012 and 2015. A Chinese animated series succeeding the Stitch! anime, Stitch & Ai, ran from March 27 to April 6, 2017.
Other animation studios produced the sequel films and series: Stitch! The Movie, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, and Leroy & Stitch were all produced by Walt Disney Television Animation; Stitch Has a Glitch was produced by Disneytoon Studios; Stitch! was produced by Madhouse for its first two seasons, and then Shin-Ei Animation for its third season (and two post-series specials); and Stitch & Ai was produced by Anhui Xinhua Media and Panimation Hwakai Media.
Dr. Jumba Jookiba, an extraterrestrial mad scientist, is arrested and put on trial by the Galactic Federation for illegal genetic experimentation, as evidenced by his creation “Experiment 626”, a small blue sentient alien with unparalleled intelligence and strength, but also a propensity to cause chaos. Jumba is imprisoned while the alien is sentenced to exile on a desert asteroid. “626” manages to escape on a red police spaceship, and activates the hyperdrive, causing its guidance systems to malfunction and randomly set a course for Earth. 626 crash-lands on Kauaʻi, Hawaii, only to be knocked unconscious by three passing trucks and taken to an animal shelter. The Grand Councilwoman dispatches Jumba and Agent Pleakley, the Council’s Earth expert, to the planet to have 626 captured discreetly, as Earth is the habitat for the supposedly “endangered” mosquito population, and humans are described as being unable to handle an alien encounter formally.
On Kauaʻi, a young woman named Nani Pelekai is having trouble caring for her rambunctious, disobedient, and lonely younger sister, Lilo, following the death of their parents. A social worker named Cobra Bubbles expresses increasing concern whether Nani is able to take adequate care of her sister. Since Lilo has been ostracized by her hula classmates, Nani decides to let her adopt a dog. At the shelter, Lilo immediately takes a keen interest in 626, who is impersonating a dog. In spite of Nani’s doubts, Lilo calls 626 “Stitch”, and shows him around the island.
Also, check these topics out: Freaky Friday movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, The Princess Diaries 2 Royal Engagement movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie, The Incredibles movie, AGT judges, The Pacifier movie, Grace and Frankie Season 6, National Treasure movie, Finding Nemo movie, The Jungle Book 2 movie 2003, Brother Bear movie, X Factor UK 2019. Lilo & Stitch (2002 movie). Lilo & Stitch (2002 movie) trailer starring Daveigh Chase, Tia Carrere.