Ratatouille is a 2007 American computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It was the eighth film produced by Pixar, and was co-written and directed by Brad Bird, who took over from Jan Pinkava in 2005, and produced by Brad Lewis, from an original idea from Pinkava.
The title refers to the French dish Ratatouille, which is served at the end of the film and also references the species of the main character, a rat. The plot follows a rat named Remy, who dreams of becoming a chef and tries to achieve his goal by forming an alliance with a Parisian restaurant’s garbage boy.
- Starring : Patton Oswalt / Ian Holm
- Genre : Animation / Adventure / Comedy / Drama / Family / Fantasy
- Country : United States
- Language : English / French
- Director : Brad Bird / Jan Pinkava
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / Pixar Animation Studios
- Distributor : The Walt Disney Company / B&H Film Distribution / Buena Vista International (Australia) / Buena Vista International (Norway) / Buena Vista International Finland / Buena Vista International Mexico / Buena Vista International / Buena Vista Pictures Distribution / Buena Vista Pictures / Columbia Pictures / Falcon / Forum Cinemas / Forum Film Poland / Forum Hungary / Prooptiki / Saturn Films / Slovo Filma / Taramount Film / United International Pictures (UIP) / Walt Disney Company Nordic / Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing (WDSSPR) / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / Buena Vista Home Entertainment / Disney Blu-ray / Disney Channel / FX Network / Film1 / Gativideo / Nelonen / SBS6 / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Ratatouille release date
- June 22, 2007 : USA (Hollywood, California) (premiere)
- June 28, 2007 : Philippines
- June 28, 2007 : Singapore
- June 29, 2007 : USA
- July 6, 2007 : Israel
- July 8, 2007 : France (Paris Cinéma) (premiere)
- July 14, 2007 : Japan (Tokyo) (premiere)
- July 28, 2007 : Japan
- August 1, 2007 : France
- August 3, 2007 : Spain
- August 13, 2007 : Australia (Melbourne) (premiere)
- August 24, 2007 : India
- August 28, 2007 : Sweden (Malmö Filmdagar)
- September 6, 2007 : Australia
- October 3, 2007 : Germany
- October 12, 2007 : UK
- October 12, 2007 : Ireland
- October 19, 2007 : Sweden
- February 3, 2008 : USA (Santa Barbara Film Festival)
- February 15, 2008 : Germany (Berlin International Film Festival)
- June 6, 2014 : USA (3-D version)
- Patton Oswalt as Remy(voice)
- Ian Holm as Skinner(voice)
- Lou Romano as Linguini(voice)
- Brian Dennehy as Django(voice)
- Peter Sohn as Emile(voice)
- Peter O’Toole as Anton Ego(voice)
- Brad Garrett as Gusteau(voice)
- Janeane Garofalo as Colette(voice)
- Will Arnett as Horst(voice)
- Julius Callahan as Lalo / Francois(voice)
- James Remar as Larousse(voice)
- John Ratzenberger as Mustafa(voice)
- Teddy Newton as Lawyer (Talon Labarthe)(voice)
- Tony Fucile as Pompidou / Health Inspector(voice)
- Jake Steinfeld as Git (Lab Rat)(voice)
The film stars the voices of Patton Oswalt as Remy, an anthropomorphic rat who is interested in cooking; Lou Romano as Alfredo Linguini, a young garbage boy who befriends Remy; Ian Holm as Skinner, the head chef of Auguste Gusteau’s restaurant; Janeane Garofalo as Colette Tatou, a rôtisseur at Gusteau’s restaurant and the staff’s only female chef; Peter O’Toole as Anton Ego, a restaurant critic; Brian Dennehy as Django, Remy’s father and leader of his clan; Peter Sohn as Emile, Remy’s older brother; and Brad Garrett as Auguste Gusteau, a recently deceased chef.
The development of Ratatouille began in 2000 when Pinkava wrote the original concepts of the film. In 2005, Bird was approached to direct the film and revise the story. Bird and some of the film’s crew members also visited Paris for inspiration. To create the food animation used in the film, the crew consulted chefs from both France and the United States. Producer Lewis interned at Thomas Keller’s The French Laundry restaurant, where Keller developed the confit byaldi, a dish used in the film. Michael Giacchino composed the Paris-inspired music for the film.
Ratatouille premiered on June 22, 2007, at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, California, with its general release June 29, 2007, in the United States. The film grossed $620.7 million and was a box office success and received positive reviews and critical acclaim from critics, who praised its witty dialogue, characters, voice acting and the animation. The film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature and was nominated for four more, including Best Original Screenplay. It was later voted one of the 100 greatest motion pictures of the 21st century by a 2016 poll of international critics conducted by the BBC.
Remy is a highly intelligent and idealistic young rat with unusually acute senses of taste and smell who dreams of becoming a chef like his idol, the late Auguste Gusteau. However, the rest of his rat colony, including his brother Emile and his father Django, are interested in food only for sustenance. One day, when the colony is forced to flee their home, Remy is separated from the clan and eventually finds himself above the kitchen of Gusteau’s Restaurant in Paris.
When Remy observes a young garbage boy named Alfredo Linguini attempt to fix a soup he has spilled, he recognizes that Linguini is unintentionally ruining it and fixes his mistakes. Linguini catches him in the act, but does not reveal him to Skinner, Gusteau’s former sous-chef and new owner of the restaurant. Skinner confronts Linguini for tampering with the soup, but when the soup is accidentally served and proves to be a success, Colette Tatou, the staff’s only female chef, convinces Skinner to retain Linguini. Skinner spots Remy trying to escape, and orders Linguini to kill the rat, but Linguini decides to keep Remy instead. The two learn to communicate and devise a plan: Remy hides under Linguini’s toque at the restaurant and guides his movements like a marionette by pulling on his hair. Skinner, meanwhile, orders Colette to teach Linguini to be a cook.
Also, check these topics out: X Factor UK 2019, AGT judges, A Christmas Carol movie, Old Dogs movie, WALL-E movie, National Treasure Book of Secrets movie, The Game Plan movie, Enchanted movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Underdog movie, The Chronicles of Narnia movie, The Muppets movie. Ratatouille (2007 movie). Ratatouille (2007 movie) trailer starring Patton Oswalt, Ian Holm.