Superman Returns is a 2006 American superhero film directed and co-produced by Bryan Singer and written by Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, from a story by Singer, Dougherty and Harris. Based on the DC Comics character Superman, it is the sixth and final installment in the original Superman film series and serves as a homage sequel to Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980), while not directly referencing the events of Superman III (1983), Supergirl (1984) and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987).
The film stars Brandon Routh as Clark Kent/Superman, Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, with James Marsden, Frank Langella, and Parker Posey. The film tells the story of the title character returning to Earth after a five-year absence. He finds that his love interest Lois Lane has moved on with her life, and that his archenemy Lex Luthor is plotting a scheme that will destroy both Superman and America.
- Starring : Brandon Routh / Kate Bosworth
- Genre : Action / Sci-Fi
- Country : United States
- Language : English / German / French
- Director : Bryan Singer
- Production : Warner Bros. / Legendary Entertainment / Peters Entertainment / Bad Hat Harry Productions / DC Comics / Red Sun Productions Pty. Ltd.
- Distributor : Warner Bros. / Norsk Film Distribujon / Fox-Warner / Sandrew Metronome Distribution / Warner Bros. F.E. / Argentina Video Home / British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) / Film1 / HBO Max / Sub / Veronica / Warner Bros. Entertainment Finland / Warner Home Video / Warner Home Vidéo
Superman Returns movie
Superman Returns release date
- June 21, 2006 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)
- June 28, 2006 : Philippines
- June 28, 2006 : USA
- June 29, 2006 : Australia
- June 29, 2006 : Singapore
- June 30, 2006 : India
- July 12, 2006 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- July 12, 2006 : Spain
- July 12, 2006 : France
- July 14, 2006 : UK
- July 14, 2006 : Ireland
- July 20, 2006 : Israel
- July 26, 2006 : United Arab Emirates
- July 28, 2006 : Sweden
- August 17, 2006 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- August 17, 2006 : Germany
- August 19, 2006 : Japan
- September 1, 2006 : Switzerland (Italian speaking region)
- August 10, 2008 : Philippines (IMAX version) (re-release)
- September 9, 2008 : France (Deauville Film Festival)
Superman Returns cast
- Brandon Routh as Clark Kent / Superman
- Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane
- Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor
- James Marsden as Richard White
- Parker Posey as Kitty Kowalski
- Frank Langella as Perry White
- Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen
- Eva Marie Saint as Martha Kent
- Marlon Brando as Jor-El(archiveFootage)
- Kal Penn as Stanford
- Tristan Lake Leabu as Jason White
- David Fabrizio as Brutus
- Ian Roberts as Riley
- Vincent Stone as Grant
- Jack Larson as Bo the Bartender
After a series of unsuccessful projects to resurrect Superman on screen following the critical and financial failure of The Quest for Peace, Warner Bros. hired Bryan Singer to direct and develop Superman Returns in July 2004. The majority of principal photography took place at Fox Studios Australia, Sydney, while the visual effects sequences were created by a number of studios, including Sony Pictures Imageworks, Rhythm & Hues, Framestore, Rising Sun Pictures, and The Orphanage; filming ended in November 2005.
Upon release, Superman Returns received generally positive reviews, with critics praising its visual effects, story, musical score, the performances of Routh and Spacey. However, it received criticism focusing on its runtime and lack of action sequences. While very profitable at the box office, Warner Bros. was disappointed with the worldwide box office return, cancelling a sequel planned for 2009 as a result. The Superman film series was completely rebooted in 2013 with Man of Steel, directed by Zack Snyder, starring Henry Cavill as Superman and launching the DC Extended Universe. Routh later reprised his role as Superman in the 2019 Arrowverse crossover “Crisis on Infinite Earths”.
For the previous five years, Superman has mysteriously abandoned his adopted home of Earth while on a journey into outer space to investigate what astronomers believed to be an intact Krypton. In his absence, journalist and past love Lois Lane wrote a scathing article “Why the World Doesn’t Need Superman”, winning her the Pulitzer Prize. Lois is engaged to Richard White, the nephew of Daily Planet editor-in-chief Perry White, and with whom she shares a young asthmatic son, Jason. Notorious criminal mastermind Lex Luthor secured an early release from prison due to Superman not appearing as a prosecution witness during Luthor’s fifth appeal trial. By seducing an old heiress, Luthor is able to inherit her fortune, giving him resources for his next scheme.
Superman returns to Earth, crash landing at the Kent farm, just as he did as a child. He reveals to his adoptive mother Martha Kent that he left hoping to find his homeworld, and expresses his dismay at being the only one of his kind remaining. Upon returning to Metropolis in his human identity of Clark Kent, he is shocked to discover the consequences of his disappearance.
When a mysterious nationwide power outage causes catastrophic failures during a space shuttle launch, Clark realizes that he must reemerge as Superman. Saving the shuttle and its ferry jet in highly public fashion causes a resurgence of media attention regarding Superman’s return. Unbeknownst to anyone, the accident was triggered by Luthor using Kryptonian technology stolen from the Fortress of Solitude.
Luthor sends his moll, Kitty, to distract Superman, allowing him to steal a sample of kryptonite from a museum. Still investigating the earlier power outage, Lois tracks the hypocenter to the mansion Luthor recently inherited and, along with her son, explores the yacht docked there. Discovering Luthor, she is held captive as the yacht heads out into the Atlantic. Luthor plans to use the Kryptonian crystal technology Superman used to create his Fortress of Solitude to create a new land mass, which would swallow the continental United States and force the rest of the world to live there. Placing a crystal inside a shell of refined kryptonite, Luthor triggers the new land growth by launching it into the sea.
Also, check these topics out: X-Men movies in order of release date, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Mortal Kombat Legends Scorpions Revenge movie, The Hunger Games movie, X Factor UK 2019, Calm with Horses movie, The Rest of Us movie, Our Ladies movie, New Amsterdam Season 2 Episode 13, The Hunger Games Catching Fire movie, Run This Town movie, AGT judges, The Pale Horse Episode 1, Holly Slept Over movie. Superman Returns (2006 movie). Superman Returns (2006 movie) trailer starring Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth.