The Hunger Games is a 2012 American dystopian science fiction-adventure film directed by Gary Ross and based on Suzanne Collins’s 2008 novel of the same name.It is the first installment in The Hunger Games film series and was produced by Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik, with a screenplay by Ross, Collins, and Billy Ray. The film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, and Donald Sutherland.
The story takes place in a dystopian post-apocalyptic future in the nation of Panem, where a boy and a girl from each of the nation’s 12 Districts are chosen annually as “tributes” and forced to compete in The Hunger Games, an elaborate televised fight to the death. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) volunteers to take her younger sister’s place, and with her district’s male tribute, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), travels to the Capitol to train and compete in the games.
- Starring : Jennifer Lawrence / Josh Hutcherson
- Genre : Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi / Thriller
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Gary Ross
- Production : Lionsgate / Color Force
- Distributor : Belga Films / Metropolitan Filmexport / Roadshow Entertainment / Forum Films / Nordisk Film Distribution / StudioCanal / Spentzos Films / Lark Films Distribution / Forum Hungary / Eagle Films / Independent Films / Pioneer Films / Pris Audiovisuais / Volga / Cathay-Keris Films / Mongkol Major / Volga Film Ukraine / Gulf Film / Diamond Films / Paris Filmes / Forum Film Bulgaria / Cine Colombia / Nordisk Film / Videocine S.A. de C.V. / Forum Film Poland / Tiglon Film / Lionsgate UK / Lionsgate / Alliance / Cinematográfica Blancica (CB) / Kadokawa Pictures / Lotte Entertainment / Warner Bros. / Westec Media Limited / ABC Family / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / Argentina Video Home / Audio Visual Entertainment / Belga Home Vidéo / Emperor Motion Pictures / Epix (I) / Film1 / Flagman-Trade / Lionsgate Home Entertainment / Nelonen / Noori Pictures / RTL Entertainment / Sun Distribution / Tanweer Films
The Hunger Games movie
The Hunger Games release date
- March 12, 2012 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)
- March 21, 2012 : France
- March 22, 2012 : United Arab Emirates
- March 22, 2012 : Australia
- March 22, 2012 : Germany
- March 22, 2012 : Israel
- March 22, 2012 : Philippines
- March 22, 2012 : Singapore
- March 23, 2012 : Canada
- March 23, 2012 : UK
- March 23, 2012 : Ireland
- March 23, 2012 : India
- March 23, 2012 : Sweden
- March 23, 2012 : USA
- April 20, 2012 : Spain
- September 28, 2012 : Japan
- September 4, 2016 : France (Deauville Film Festival)
- September 6, 2017 : France (Deauville Film Festival)
The Hunger Games cast
- Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
- Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane
- Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
- Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
- Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
- Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
- Sandra Ellis Lafferty as Hob Vendor(as Sandra Lafferty)
- Paula Malcomson as Katniss’ Mother
- Rhoda Griffis as Registration Woman
- Sandino Moya-Smith as Propaganda Film Tribute
- Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark
- Raiko Bowman as Peeta’s Mother
- Dwayne Boyd as Peacekeeper #1
- Anthony Reynolds as Peacekeeper #2
- Judd Lormand as Peacekeeper #3
The Hunger Games is a 2012 American dystopian science fiction-adventure film directed by Gary Ross and based on Suzanne Collins’s 2008 novel of the same name. It is the first installment in The Hunger Games film series and was produced by Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik, with a screenplay by Ross, Collins, and Billy Ray. The film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, and Donald Sutherland. The story takes place in a dystopian post-apocalyptic future in the nation of Panem, where a boy and a girl from each of the nation’s 12 Districts are chosen annually as “tributes” and forced to compete in The Hunger Games, an elaborate televised fight to the death. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) volunteers to take her younger sister’s place, and with her district’s male tribute, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), travels to the Capitol to train and compete in the games.
Development of The Hunger Games began in March 2009 when Lions Gate Entertainment entered into a co-production agreement with Color Force, which had acquired the rights a few weeks earlier. Collins collaborated with Ray and Ross to write the screenplay. The screenplay expanded the character of Seneca Crane to allow several developments to be shown directly to the audience and Ross added several scenes between Crane and Coriolanus Snow. The main characters were cast between March and May 2011. Principal photography began in May 2011 and ended in September 2011, with filming taking place in North Carolina.
The film was released on March 21, 2012, in some European countries and in the US and UK on March 23, 2012, in both conventional theaters and digital IMAX theaters. Japan received it last, on September 28. When the film was released, it set records for opening day ($67.3 million) and opening weekend for a non-sequel. At the time of its release, the film’s opening weekend gross ($152.5 million) was the third-largest of any movie in North America. It is the first film since Avatar to remain in first place at the North American box office for four consecutive weekends. The film was a massive box-office success by grossing over $694 million worldwide against its budget of $78 million, making it the third-highest-grossing film in the United States and ninth-highest-grossing film of 2012. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on August 18, 2012. With 7,434,058 units sold, the DVD was the best-selling DVD of 2012. The second installment, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was released on November 22, 2013, in the United States.
The Hunger Games received positive reviews from critics, with praise for its themes and messages, as well as Jennifer Lawrence’s portrayal of Katniss, though there was some criticism of the film’s use of shaky cam, especially in the action sequences, and its similarities to other works. The film’s soundtrack featured the song “Safe & Sound”, which was sung by American singer Taylor Swift featuring The Civil Wars; it won a Grammy Award and was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. For her performance, Lawrence won the Saturn Award for Best Actress, the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress in an Action Movie, the Empire Award for Best Actress and was also nominated for the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress.
As punishment for a failed past rebellion, the 12 districts of the nation of Panem are forced by the Capitol to select two tributes, one boy and one girl between ages 12 and 18, who must fight to the death in the annual Hunger Games until there is only one survivor. In District 12, after her younger sister Primrose is chosen, 16-year old Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her place. Before she departs, Katniss says goodbye to her family, and she is given a mockingjay pin to protect her during the games. She and fellow tribute Peeta Mellark are then escorted to the Capitol by their chaperone Effie Trinket and mentor Haymitch Abernathy, the only surviving previous victor from District 12. Haymitch stresses the importance of gaining sponsors, as they can provide potentially life-saving gifts during the Games. While training, Katniss observes the “Careers” (Marvel, Glimmer, Cato and Clove), volunteers from the wealthy Districts 1 and 2 who have trained for the Games from an early age. During a televised interview with Caesar Flickerman the night before the Games start, Peeta expresses his love for Katniss, which she initially sees as an attempt to attract sponsors; she later learns his admission is genuine.
At the start of the Games, Katniss ignores Haymitch’s advice and grabs some of the supplies placed around the Cornucopia, a structure at the starting point, and narrowly escapes death. Half of the 24 tributes die in the initial melee, and only eleven, including the Careers, survive the first day. Katniss tries to stay away from the others, but the Head Gamemaker, Seneca Crane, triggers a forest fire to drive her towards them. She runs into the Careers, with whom Peeta has seemingly allied, and flees up a tree. Peeta advises the Careers to wait her out. The next morning, Katniss notices Rue, District 11’s young female tribute, hiding in an adjacent tree. Rue draws her attention to a nest of tracker jackers, genetically modified venomous wasps. Using a knife, Katniss saws the branch holding the nest off of the tree, causing it to fall on the Careers; Glimmer succumbs to the stings and dies, while the others narrowly escape to a nearby lake. Katniss is disoriented from being stung a few times; in a hallucination, Peeta returns and tells her to flee.
Also, check these topics out: Mortal Kombat Legends Scorpions Revenge movie, Council of Dads Season 1 Episode 1, Run This Town movie, Calm with Horses movie, AGT judges, Our Ladies movie, The Pale Horse Part One, This is Us Season 4 Episode 13, X Factor UK 2019, X-Men movies in order of release date, The Rest of Us movie, New Amsterdam Season 2 Episode 13, Holly Slept Over movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep. The Hunger Games (2012 movie) Jennifer Lawrence. The Hunger Games (2012 movie) trailer starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson.