The Muppets is a 2011 American musical comedy film and the seventh theatrical film featuring the Muppets. The film was directed by James Bobin in his directorial debut, written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller, produced by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman and starred Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, and Rashida Jones, as well as Muppet performers Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, David Rudman, Matt Vogel, and Peter Linz. Bret McKenzie served as music supervisor, writing four of the film’s five original songs, while Christophe Beck composed the film’s score. In The Muppets, devoted Muppet fan Walter, his human brother Gary and Gary’s girlfriend Mary help Kermit the Frog reunite the disbanded Muppets, as they must raise $10 million to save the Muppet Theater from Tex Richman, a businessman who plans to demolish the studio to drill for oil.
- Starring : Amy Adams / Chris Cooper
- Genre : Adventure / Comedy / Family / Musical
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : James Bobin
- Production : Walt Disney Pictures / Mandeville Films / The Muppets Studio
- Distributor : Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / B&H Film Distribution / Feelgood Entertainment / Forum Cinemas / Forum Hungary / Walt Disney Studios Japan / Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing (WDSSPR) / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / BBC One / Disney+ / FX Network / Home Box Office (HBO) / SBS6 / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment / Zon Lusomundo Audiovisuais
The Muppets movie
The Muppets release date
- November 4, 2011 : USA (Savannah Film and Video Festival)
- November 12, 2011 : USA (Hollywood, California) (premiere)
- November 23, 2011 : Canada
- November 23, 2011 : USA
- November 25, 2011 : India
- December 8, 2011 : Israel
- December 8, 2011 : Singapore
- December 9, 2011 : United Arab Emirates (Dubai International Film Festival)
- January 12, 2012 : Australia
- January 19, 2012 : Germany
- February 3, 2012 : Spain
- February 10, 2012 : UK
- February 10, 2012 : Ireland
- March 16, 2012 : Sweden
- March 21, 2012 : Philippines
- May 2, 2012 : France (DVD premiere)
- May 19, 2012 : Japan
The Muppets cast
- Jason Segel as Gary
- Amy Adams as Mary
- Chris Cooper as Tex Richman
- Rashida Jones as CDE Executive
- Steve Whitmire as Kermit / Beaker / Statler / Rizzo / Link Hogthrob / The Newsman(voice)
- Eric Jacobson as Miss Piggy / Fozzie Bear / Animal / Sam Eagle / Marvin Suggs(voice)
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo / Dr. Bunsen Honeydew / Zoot / Beauregard / Waldorf / Kermit Moopet(voice)
- Bill Barretta as Swedish Chef / Rowlf / Dr. Teeth / Pepe The Prawn / Bobo / Foozie Bear / Whatnot Farmer / Muppet Gary(voice)
- David Rudman as Scooter / Janice / Miss Poogy / Wayne(voice)
- Matt Vogel as Sgt. Floyd Pepper / Camilla / Sweetums / 80’s Robot / Lew Zealand / Uncle Deadly / Rowlf Moopet / Crazy Harry(voice)
- Peter Linz as Walter(voice)
- Alan Arkin as Tour Guide
- Bill Cobbs as Grandfather
- Zach Galifianakis as Hobo Joe
- Ken Jeong as ‘Punch Teacher’ Host
Walt Disney Pictures first announced the film in March 2008, with Segel and Stoller as the screenwriters and Mandeville Films as co-producer. Bobin was hired to direct in January 2010, and the film’s supporting cast was filled out in October of the same year with the casting of Adams, Cooper and Jones. Filming began in September 2010 and was completed entirely in Los Angeles. The film was the first theatrical Muppet production without the involvement of veteran Muppet performers Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson, although Nelson provides an uncredited vocal cameo in his final role before his death in 2012. Instead, their characters are performed by Jacobson and Vogel, respectively, marking their theatrical feature film debut as those characters.
The Muppets premiered at the Savannah Film Festival and was released theatrically in North America on November 23, 2011. The film was a critical and commercial success; grossing $165 million worldwide on a budget of $45 million and garnering praise for its humor, screenplay and music. The film won an Oscar for Best Original Song for McKenzie’s song “Man or Muppet”, as well as garnering BAFTA and Critic’s Choice Awards nominations. A sequel, titled Muppets Most Wanted, was released on March 21, 2014.
Brothers Walter and Gary, residents of Smalltown, are fans of the Muppets, having watched The Muppet Show throughout their youth. Now adults, Gary plans a vacation to Los Angeles with his girlfriend, Mary, to celebrate their tenth anniversary, inviting Walter so he can tour the Muppet Studios. Mary feels Gary’s devotion to Walter is distracting from their relationship.
In L.A., the three visit the abandoned Muppet Studios. During the tour, Walter sneaks into Kermit’s office; he overhears Statler and Waldorf selling the Muppet Theater to oil magnate Tex Richman and his henchmen Bobo the Bear and Uncle Deadly. After Statler and Waldorf leave, Walter overhears Richman reveal his plan to destroy the theater and drill for oil. A hysterical Walter tells this to Gary and Mary, but remembers that Statler and Waldorf added that if the Muppets can raise $10 million by the time their original contract expires, they can repurchase the theater.
Agreeing to stop Richman, they find Kermit at his mansion and inform him of Richman’s plot. Kermit realizes he must organize a telethon to raise the money, which appears difficult since the Muppets have gone their separate ways since the show ended its run. Convinced to try, Kermit sets off with the three to reunite the group. Kermit successfully dissuades Fozzie from continuing to perform in Reno, Nevada with the Moopets, a tribute group of uncouth Muppet impersonators. Meanwhile, Gonzo has become a plumbing magnate and, despite his initial objection, destroys his business and joins them. Animal is recovered from a celebrity anger-management clinic, before being instructed by his sponsor Jack Black to keep away from drums. The other primary Muppets rejoin through a montage. Later in Paris, the group finds Miss Piggy working as an editor for “plus-sized” fashion at Vogue Paris, but they fail to convince Miss Piggy to return, so the group replaces her with Moopet counterpart Miss Poogy.
Also, check these topics out: Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie, X Factor UK 2019, Shameless Season 10 Episode 9, The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian movie, National Treasure Book of Secrets movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas movie, WALL-E movie, Bolt movie, AGT judges, X-Men movies in order of release date, High School Musical 3 Senior Year movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, The L Word: Generation Q Season 1 Episode 5, Bedtime Stories movie. The Muppets (2011 movie). The Muppets (2011 movie) trailer starring Amy Adams, Chris Cooper.