Rocky is a 1976 American sports drama film directed by John G. Avildsen, written by and starring Sylvester Stallone. It tells the rags to riches American Dream story of Rocky Balboa, an uneducated, kind-hearted working class Italian-American boxer, working as a debt collector for a loan shark in the slums of Philadelphia.
Rocky, a small-time club fighter, gets a shot at the world heavyweight championship. The film also stars Talia Shire as Adrian, Burt Young as Adrian’s brother Paulie, Burgess Meredith as Rocky’s trainer Mickey Goldmill, and Carl Weathers as the reigning champion, Apollo Creed.
- Starring : Sylvester Stallone
- Genre : Drama / Sport
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : John G. Avildsen
- Production : Chartoff-Winkler Productions
- Distributor : United Artists / CBS / C.B. Films S.A. / Home Box Office (HBO) / Z Channel / Intervision Video / VidAmerica / Magnetic Video / 20th Century Fox Video / Warner Home Video / CBS/Fox / Audio Visual Enterprises / MGM/UA Home Video / Argentina Video Home / Chapel Distribution / MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) / MGM Home Entertainment / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / Gativideo / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment / Film1 / Les Artistes Associés (United Artists) / Nova Film / Rank Filmes de Portugal / United Artists Corporation / BBC Choice / BBC One / BBC Three / ITV 1 / ITV4 / MGM/UA Home Entertainment / Nine Network Australia / RCA (II) / RTL7 / TV6 / Varus Video
Rocky release date
- November 20, 1976 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- November 21, 1976 : USA (New York City, New York)
- December 1, 1976 : USA (Los Angeles, California)
- December 3, 1976 : USA
- January 7, 1977 : UK
- March 17, 1977 : Australia
- March 25, 1977 : France
- April 16, 1977 : Japan
- April 25, 1977 : Sweden
- April 29, 1977 : Ireland
- May 23, 1977 : Spain
- January 17, 1978 : Philippines (Davao)
- Sylvester Stallone as Rocky
- Talia Shire as Adrian
- Burt Young as Paulie
- Carl Weathers as Apollo
- Burgess Meredith as Mickey
- Thayer David as Jergens
- Joe Spinell as Gazzo
- Jimmy Gambina as Mike
- Bill Baldwin as Fight Announcer
- Al Silvani as Cut Man (as Al Salvani)
- George Memmoli as Ice Rink Attendant
- Jodi Letizia as Marie
- Diana Lewis as TV Commentator
- George O’Hanlon as TV Commentator
- Larry Carroll as TV Interviewer
The film, made on a budget of just over $1 million, was a sleeper hit; it earned $225 million in global box office receipts, becoming the highest-grossing film of 1976. The film was critically acclaimed and solidified Stallone’s career as well as commenced his rise to prominence as a major movie star. Among other accolades, it went on to receive ten Academy Award nominations, winning three, including Best Picture. In 2006, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant”. Rocky is considered to be one of the greatest sports films ever made and was ranked as the second-best in the genre, after Raging Bull, by the American Film Institute in 2008.
The film has spawned seven sequels: Rocky II (1979), Rocky III (1982), Rocky IV (1985), Rocky V (1990), Rocky Balboa (2006), Creed (2015), and Creed II (2018). Stallone portrays Rocky in all eight films, wrote seven of the eight films, and directed four of the six titular installments.
Also, check these topics out: Les Misérables movie, Memento movie, The Coven movie, Cut Off release date, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, 2020 Oscars, Marvel movies in order by release date, Thelma & Louise movie, Who won The Masked Singer 2019. Rocky (1976 movie) Sylvester Stallone. Rocky movie 1976 trailer, cast Sylvester Stallone.