Desk Set (released as His Other Woman in the UK) is a 1957 American romantic comedy film directed by Walter Lang and starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. The screenplay was written by Phoebe Ephron and Henry Ephron from the 1955 eponymous play by William Marchant.
- Starring : Katharine Hepburn / Spencer Tracy
- Genre : Comedy / Romance
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Walter Lang
- Production : Twentieth Century Fox
- Distributor : Twentieth Century Fox / 20th Century Fox / Fox Film / Twentieth Century Fox Film Company / Centfox / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / HanseSound / CBS/Fox
Desk Set movie
Desk Set release date
- May 15, 1957 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- July 4, 1957 : UK (London)
- September 23, 1957 : Sweden
- November 29, 1957 : Ireland
Desk Set cast
- Spencer Tracy as Richard Sumner
- Katharine Hepburn as Bunny Watson
- Gig Young as Mike Cutler
- Joan Blondell as Peg Costello
- Dina Merrill as Sylvia Blair
- Sue Randall as Ruthie Saylor
- Neva Patterson as Miss Warriner
- Harry Ellerbe as Smithers
- Nicholas Joy as Mr. Azae
- Diane Jergens as Alice
- Merry Anders as Cathy
- Ida Moore as Old Lady
- Rachel Stephens as Receptionist
- Pamela Curran as Bit Part (uncredited)
- Bill Duray as Member of the Board (uncredited)
At the Federal Broadcasting Network in Midtown Manhattan, Bunny Watson (Katharine Hepburn) is in charge of its reference library, which is responsible for researching facts and answering questions on all manner of topics, great and small. Watson has been involved for seven years with rising network executive Mike Cutler (Gig Young), with no marriage in sight.
The network is negotiating a merger with another company, but is keeping it secret. To help the employees cope with the extra work that will result, the network head has ordered two computers, or “electronic brains.” Methods Engineer and efficiency expert Richard Sumner (Spencer Tracy), the inventor of EMERAC (“Electromagnetic MEmory and Research Arithmetical Calculator”), is brought in to see how the library functions, to figure out how to ease the transition. Though extremely bright, as he gets to know Bunny Watson, he is surprised to discover that she is every bit his match.
When they find out the computers are coming, the employees jump to the conclusion they are being replaced. Their fears seem to be confirmed when everyone on the staff receives a pink slip printed out by the new payroll computer. It turns out to have been a mistake; the machine fired everybody in the company, including the president.
Also, check these topics out: Insomnia movie, Marvel movies in order by release date, A Mighty Heart movie, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, 2020 Oscars, Killian & the Comeback Kids movie, The Argument movie, Star Trek: Insurrection movie, Who won The Masked Singer 2019. Desk Set (1957 movie) Comedy, Katharine Hepburn. Desk Set movie 1957 trailer, cast Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy | Comedy.