I Know What You Did Last Summer is a1997 American slasher film directed by Jim Gillespie, written by Kevin Williamson, and starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, and Freddie Prinze Jr.. It is loosely based on the 1973 novel of the same name by Lois Duncan and is the first installment in I Know What You Did Last Summer trilogy.
The film centers on four young friends who are stalked by a hook-wielding killer one year after covering up a car accident in which they killed a man. The film also draws inspiration from the urban legend known as the Hook, and the 1980s slasher films Prom Night (1980), and The House on Sorority Row (1982).
- Starring : Jennifer Love Hewitt / Sarah Michelle Gellar
- Genre : Horror / Mystery
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Jim Gillespie
- Production : Mandalay Entertainment / Original Film / Summer Knowledge LLC
- Distributor : Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures Releasing / Roadshow Entertainment / Entertainment Film Distributors / Era / TriPictures / Columbia TriStar Films de Argentina / Columbia TriStar Films / Egmont Films / Constantin Film / Constantin-Film / Cecchi Gori Distribuzione / Sony Pictures Entertainment / Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment / Columbia TriStar Home Video / Egmont Entertainment / Summit / Kinekor / Nelonen / The WB Television Network / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / AXN / BBC One / LA7d / LK-TEL / Mill Creek Entertainment / Roadshow Entertainment Video
I Know What You Did Last Summer movie
I Know What You Did Last Summer release date
- October 9, 1997 : USA (Austin Film Festival)
- October 17, 1997 : USA
- November 27, 1997 : Australia
- December 12, 1997 : UK
- December 12, 1997 : Ireland
- January 8, 1998 : Singapore
- January 14, 1998 : Spain
- January 14, 1998 : Philippines
- January 23, 1998 : Israel
- January 28, 1998 : France
- February 25, 1998 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- March 13, 1998 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- March 19, 1998 : Germany
- April 9, 1998 : Sweden
- June 6, 1998 : Japan
I Know What You Did Last Summer cast
- Jennifer Love Hewitt as Julie James
- Sarah Michelle Gellar as Helen Shivers
- Ryan Phillippe as Barry Cox
- Freddie Prinze Jr. as Ray Bronson
- Muse Watson as Benjamin Willis / Fisherman
- Bridgette Wilson-Sampras as Elsa Shivers (as Bridgette Wilson)
- Anne Heche as Melissa Egan
- Johnny Galecki as Max
- Stuart Greer as Officer
- J. Don Ferguson as MC
- Deborah Hobart as Mrs. James
- Mary McMillan as Mrs. Cox
- Rasool J’Han as Deb
- Dan Albright as Sheriff
- Lynda Clark as Pageant Official
After having written Scream (released the year prior), Williamson was approached to adapt Duncan’s source novel by producer Erik Feig. Where Williamson’s screenplay for Scream contained prominent elements of satire and self-referentiality, his adaptation of I Know What You Did Last Summer reworked the novel’s central plot to resemble a straightforward 1980s-era slasher film.
I Know What You Did Last Summer was released theatrically on October 17, 1997. It received mixed reviews from critics but was commercially successful, grossing $125 million worldwide on a budget of $17 million, and remaining number 1 at the U.S. box office for three consecutive weeks. It was also nominated for and won multiple awards.
The film was followed by two sequels, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) and I’ll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006). I Know What You Did Last Summer has also been parodied and referenced in popular culture, and credited alongside Scream with revitalizing the slasher genre in the 1990s.
Also, check these topics out: The Doorman trailer, The Untouchables movie, Marvel movies in order by release date, Faith Based movie, Ten Minutes to Midnight movie, Alone Tyler Posey, 2020 Oscars, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997 movie) Jennifer Love Hewitt. I Know What You Did Last Summer movie 1997 trailer, Horror, cast Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar.