As the only mother on an international crew, astronaut Sarah (Eva Green) balances the taxing physical training required for a year-long mission aboard the International Space Station with her daughter Stella’s routine of meals and bedtimes. Sarah’s protective love for her 7-year-old daughter sometimes pulls at her commitment to her profession. Her male colleagues include an old-school Russian and a veteran American space cowboy (Matt Dillon), both seemingly untroubled by their own family responsibilities. As the liftoff date approaches, Sarah must travel to the launch site and go into quarantine – away from her daughter, who is struggling with her mother’s conflicting priorities.
Proxima is a 2019 French drama film directed by French filmmaker Alice Winocour (Augustine, Disorder). The screenplay is also written by Winocour in collaboration with Jean-Stéphane Bron.
- Starring : Eva Green / Matt Dillon
- Genre : Action / Drama
- Country : France / Germany
- Language : French / English / Russian / German
- Director : Alice Winocour
- Production : Dharamsala / Darius Films / Pathé / France 3 Cinéma / Pandora Films / Canal+ / Ciné+ / France Télévisions / Centre National du Cinéma et de l’Image Animée / La Région Île-de-France / Région Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur / Film- und Medienstiftung NRW / Indéfilms 7 / Cinémage 13 / Cofinova 15
- Distributor : Bir Film / BF Distribution / BfParis / Cherry Pickers Filmdistributie / Pathé / Picturehouse Cinemas / Ten Letters / Vertigo Média Kft. / bf Distribution / Madman Entertainment / Outsider Films / Remain In Light / Shaw Organisation
Proxima release date
- September 7, 2019 : Canada (Toronto International Film Festival)
- September 21, 2019 : Spain (San Sebastián Film Festival)
- November 20, 2019 : USA (AFI Fest)
- November 27, 2019 : France
- December 13, 2019 : Spain
- January 3, 2020 : USA (Palm Springs International Film Festival)
- January 24, 2020 : Sweden (Göteborg Film Festival.)
- February 26, 2020 : UK (Glasgow Film Festival)
- February 28, 2020 : Ireland (Dublin Film Festival)
- March 20, 2020 : Australia (French Film Festival)
- July 31, 2020 : UK
- July 31, 2020 : Ireland
- November 6, 2020 : USA (internet)
- Eva Green as Sarah Loreau
- Zélie Boulant as Stella Akerman Loreau
- Matt Dillon as Mike Shannon
- Lars Eidinger as Thomas Akerman
- Sandra Hüller as Wendy Hauer
- Aleksey Fateev as Anton Ocheivsky
- Trond-Erik Vassal as Jurgen
- Nancy Tate as Naomi Shannon
- Grégoire Colin as Sarah’s Doctor
- Igor Filippov as Dima
- Svetlana Nekhoroshikh as Vera
- Anna Sherbinina as Russian Journalist
- Vitaly Jay as Star City Member
- Lionel Ferra as Exoskeleton Coach
- Manuela Aguzzi as Exoskeleton Coach
Proxima is produced by Isabelle Madelaine and Emilie Tisne. It was shot in various real training facilities of the European Space Agency.
This drama film premiered in the Platform Prize program at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival, where it received an honorable mention from the jury. Proxima won three awards at the San Sebastian International Film Festival including SIGNIS Award – Special Mention, Special Mention of the Jury, and Special Prize of the Jury. The film was also shortlisted to be the French submission for the 2020 Academy Award for Best International Feature Film.
Proxima has been shown in France in November 2019, and in other parts of Europe in early 2020. It will be released in the US on VOD on November 6, 2020.
Also, check these topics out: Skai Jackson DWTS Jazz 80s Night, Nev Schulman Dancing with the Stars Quickstep 80s Night, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, 2020 Oscars, Marvel movies in order by release date, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, Kaitlyn Bristowe DWTS Tango 80s Night, Johnny Weir Dancing with the Stars Contemporary 80s Night, Vernon Davis DWTS Tango 80s Night. Proxima (2019 movie) Eva Green, Matt Dillon. Proxima movie 2019 trailer, cast Eva Green, Matt Dillon.