Marvel’s The Avengers (classified under the name Marvel Avengers Assemble in the United Kingdom and Ireland), or simply The Avengers, is a 2012 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the sixth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).
The film was written and directed by Joss Whedon and features an ensemble cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner as the titular Avengers team, alongside Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgård, and Samuel L. Jackson. In the film, Nick Fury, director of the spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D., recruits Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, and Thor to form a team that must stop Thor’s brother Loki from subjugating Earth.
- Starring : Robert Downey Jr. / Chris Evans
- Genre : Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi
- Country : United States
- Language : English / Russian / Hindi
- Director : Joss Whedon
- Production : Marvel Studios / Paramount Pictures
- Distributor : B&H Film Distribution / Cineforum / Feelgood Entertainment / Forum Cinemas / Forum Film Bulgaria / Forum Film Poland / Forum Film / Forum Hungary / NOS Audiovisuais / Saturn Films / The Walt Disney Company / United International Pictures (UIP) / Walt Disney Company Nordic / Walt Disney Studios Japan / Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures / Walt Disney Studios Sony Pictures Releasing (WDSSPR) / Westec Media Limited / BBC One / CJ Entertainment / Epix (I) / FX Network / Home Box Office (HBO) / Hotstar / Intercontinental Video / Rai 4 / Sega Sammy Entertainment / TV3 / Veronica / Walt Disney Company Russia & CIS / Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
The Avengers movie
The Avengers release date
- April 11, 2012 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)
- April 25, 2012 : Australia
- April 25, 2012 : France
- April 25, 2012 : Philippines
- April 26, 2012 : Germany
- April 26, 2012 : UK
- April 26, 2012 : Ireland
- April 27, 2012 : Spain
- April 27, 2012 : India
- April 27, 2012 : Sweden
- April 28, 2012 : USA (Tribeca Film Festival)
- May 1, 2012 : Singapore
- May 3, 2012 : United Arab Emirates
- May 4, 2012 : Canada
- May 4, 2012 : USA
- May 4, 2012 : USA (Catalina Film Festival)
- May 10, 2012 : Israel
- August 14, 2012 : Japan
The Avengers cast
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki
- Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson
- Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill
- Stellan Skarsgård as Selvig
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts
- Paul Bettany as Jarvis(voice)
- Alexis Denisof as The Other
- Tina Benko as NASA Scientist
The film’s development began when Marvel Studios received a loan from Merrill Lynch in April 2005. After the success of the film Iron Man in May 2008, Marvel announced that The Avengers would be released in July 2011. With the signing of Johansson in March 2009, the film was pushed back for a 2012 release. Whedon was brought on board in April 2010 and rewrote the original screenplay by Zak Penn. Production began in April 2011 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, before moving to Cleveland, Ohio, in August and New York City in September. The film was converted to 3D in post-production.
The Avengers premiered at Hollywood’s El Capitan Theatre on April 11, 2012, and was released in the United States on May 4, 2012. The film received praise for Whedon’s direction and screenplay, visual effects, action sequences, acting, and musical score, and garnered numerous awards and nominations including Academy Award and BAFTA nominations for achievements in visual effects. It set or tied numerous box office records, including the biggest opening weekend in the United States and Canada. The Avengers grossed over $1.5 billion worldwide and became the third-highest-grossing film of all time, as well as the highest-grossing film of 2012. It is the first Marvel production to generate $1 billion in ticket sales. In 2017, it was featured as one of the 100 greatest films of all time in Empire magazine’s poll of The 100 Greatest Movies.
Three sequels, titled Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame, were released in May 2015, April 2018, and April 2019, respectively. The Asgardian Loki encounters the Other, the leader of an extraterrestrial race known as the Chitauri. In exchange for retrieving the Tesseract, a powerful energy source of unknown potential, the Other promises Loki an army with which he can subjugate Earth. Nick Fury, director of the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D., and his lieutenant Agent Maria Hill arrive at a remote research facility during an evacuation, where physicist Dr. Erik Selvig is leading a research team experimenting on the Tesseract. Agent Phil Coulson explains that the object has begun radiating an unusual form of energy. The Tesseract suddenly activates and opens a wormhole, allowing Loki to reach Earth. Loki takes the Tesseract and uses his scepter to enslave Selvig and a few other agents, including Clint Barton, to aid him in his getaway.
In response to the attack, Fury reactivates the “Avengers Initiative”. Agent Natasha Romanoff is sent to Kolkata to recruit Dr. Bruce Banner to trace the Tesseract through its gamma radiation emissions. Coulson visits Tony Stark to have him review Selvig’s research, and Fury approaches Steve Rogers with an assignment to retrieve the Tesseract.
In Stuttgart, Barton steals iridium needed to stabilize the Tesseract’s power while Loki causes a distraction, leading to a brief confrontation with Rogers, Stark, and Romanoff that ends with Loki’s surrender. While Loki is being escorted to S.H.I.E.L.D., Thor, his adoptive brother, arrives and frees him, hoping to convince him to abandon his plan and return to Asgard. After a confrontation with Stark and Rogers, Thor agrees to take Loki to S.H.I.E.L.D.’s flying aircraft carrier, the Helicarrier. Upon arrival, Loki is imprisoned while Banner and Stark attempt to locate the Tesseract.
Also, check these topics out: Almost Family Season 1 Episode 9, X-Men movies in order of release date, The Sinner Season 3 Episode 1, Supernatural Season 15 Episode 9, X Factor UK 2019, Dr. Stone Season 2, AGT judges, Treadstone Season 1 Episode 10, Xbox Series X specs, Apex Legends Holo-Day Bash, game awards winners, In the Heights movie, Legacies Season 2 Episode 9, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep. The Avengers (2012 movie). The Avengers (2012) trailer starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans.