“The Magistrate (Mark Rylance) of an isolated frontier settlement on the border of an unnamed empire looks forward to an easy retirement until the arrival of Colonel Joll (Johnny Depp), whose task it is to report on the activities of the ‘barbarians’ and on the security situation on the border. Joll conducts a series of ruthless interrogations, which leads the Magistrate to question his loyalty to the empire.” – Samuel Goldwyn Films
Waiting for the Barbarians is a 2019 drama film directed by Colombia filmmaker Ciro Guerra in his English-language directorial debut. The film is based on the novel of the same name by J. M. Coetzee. It stars Mark Rylance, Johnny Depp, Robert Pattinson, Gana Bayarsaikhan, and Greta Scacchi.
- Starring : Mark Rylance / Johnny Depp
- Genre : Drama
- Country : Italy / United States
- Language : English
- Director : Ciro Guerra
- Production : Iervolino Entertainment / Ithaca Pictures
- Distributor : Samuel Goldwyn Films
Waiting for the Barbarians movie
Waiting for the Barbarians release date
- September 8, 2019 : France (Deauville Film Festival)
- September 26, 2019 : Spain (San Sebastián Film Festival)
- September 29, 2019 : Switzerland (Zurich Film Festival)
- October 6, 2019 : UK (London Film Festival)
- August 7, 2020 : USA (internet)
Waiting for the Barbarians cast
- Mark Rylance as The Magistrate
- Johnny Depp as Colonel Joll
- Robert Pattinson as Officer Mandel
- Gana Bayarsaikhan as The Girl
- Greta Scacchi as Mai
- David Dencik as The Clerk
- Sam Reid as The Lieutenant
- Harry Melling as Garrison Soldier 4
- Bill Milner as Garrison Soldier 5
- Gursed Dalkhsuren as Old Prisoner
- Tserendagva Purevdorj as Old Barbarian
- Haqi Ali as Farmer 2
- Paul Bazely as The Herbalist
- Hami Belal as Joll’s Man #1
- Adam Bensallah as Mai’s Grandson
The film premiered at the Venice Film Festival on September 6, 2019 where it was nominated for Best Film. Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired U.S. distribution rights to the film and will release it on digital on August 7, 2020.
It was announced in October 2016 that Ciro Guerra was working on an adaptation of the novel Waiting for the Barbarians, and that Mark Rylance was to star in the film.
In May 2018, Johnny Depp reportedly contacted Guerra in regards to appearing in the film. At around the same time, Robert Pattinson was revealed as being cast in the film.
Depp confirmed in October 2018 that he would star in the film, and revealed that filming will commence at the end of the month in Morocco.
Also, check these topics out: The 100 Season 7 Episode 7 release date, Marvel movies in order by release date, 2020 Oscars, The Handmaid’s Tale Season 4 Episode 1, Solar Opposites Season 2 release date, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 Adapt or Die, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, Crossing Swords Season 2 release date. Waiting for the Barbarians (2019 movie) Johnny Depp, Mark Rylance. Waiting for the Barbarians movie 2019 trailer, cast Mark Rylance, Johnny Depp, Robert Pattinson | Drama.