I Love You Phillip Morris is a 2009 biographical black comedy drama film based on the 1980s and 1990s real-life story of con artist, impostor and multiple prison escapee Steven Jay Russell, as played by Jim Carrey. While incarcerated, Russell falls in love with his fellow inmate, Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). After Morris is released from prison, Russell escapes from prison four times to be reunited with Morris. The film was adapted from the 2003 book I Love You Phillip Morris: A True Story of Life, Love, and Prison Breaks by Steve McVicker. The film is the directorial debut of John Requa and Glenn Ficarra. It grossed $20 million worldwide and received generally positive reviews from critics.
- Starring : Jim Carrey / Ewan McGregor
- Genre : Biography / Comedy / Crime / Drama / Romance
- Country : France / United States
- Language : English
- Director : Glenn Ficarra / John Requa
- Production : EuropaCorp / Mad Chance / Consolidated Pictures Group / LD Entertainment
- Distributor : Roadside Attractions / Fox Pathé Europa / Alamode Film / Asmik Ace Entertainment / Aurum Films / Bioscop / Cathay-Keris Films / Cinestar / Diamond Films / Entertainment One / Euforia Film / EuropaCorp. Distribution / Festive Films / Filmopolis / Independent Films / LD Entertainment / Lucky Red / Motion Picture Distribution / Scanbox Entertainment / Volga / 2BE / CN Entertainment / Film1 / Imagem Filmes / Laptv / Lionsgate Home Entertainment / Nelonen / RTL Entertainment / Relativity Media / TV 2 Humor / Warner Home Video / Zon Lusomundo Audiovisuais
I Love You Phillip Morris movie
I Love You Phillip Morris release date
- January 18, 2009 : USA (Sundance Film Festival)
- May 19, 2009 : France (Cannes Film Festival)
- November 22, 2009 : France (Paris Gay and Lesbian Film Festival)
- January 1, 2010 : USA (Palm Springs International Film Festival)
- February 2, 2010 : Sweden (Göteborg International Film Festival)
- February 10, 2010 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- February 10, 2010 : France
- February 26, 2010 : Sweden
- March 13, 2010 : Japan
- March 17, 2010 : UK
- March 17, 2010 : Ireland
- March 18, 2010 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- March 24, 2010 : Philippines
- April 29, 2010 : Germany
- July 1, 2010 : Israel
- July 1, 2010 : Israel (limited)
- July 30, 2010 : Australia (Melbourne International Film Festival)
- August 13, 2010 : Spain
- September 30, 2010 : Singapore
- November 6, 2010 : USA (Denver International Film Festival)
- December 3, 2010 : USA (limited)
- January 7, 2011 : USA
I Love You Phillip Morris cast
- Jim Carrey as Steven Russell
- Ewan McGregor as Phillip Morris
- Leslie Mann as Debbie
- Rodrigo Santoro as Jimmy
- Antoni Corone as Lindholm
- Brennan Brown as Birkheim
- Michael Mandell as Cleavon
- Annie Golden as Eudora
- Marylouise Burke as Barbara Bascombe (as Mary Louise Burke)
- David Jensen as Judge
- Dameon Clarke as Houston Lawyer
- Clay Chamberlin as Cellmate – Arnie
- Louis Herthum as Doctor
- Morgana Shaw as Steven’s Mom
- Joe Chrest as Steven’s Dad
Steven Jay Russell is on his deathbed, recalling the events of his life that led him to this point. He spent his early adult years in Virginia Beach as a police officer. He plays the organ at church, has unenthusiastic sex with his wife, Debbie, and spends his off-hours searching for his biological mother, who had placed him for adoption as a child. Steven locates his biological mother, but she rejects him.
He then quits the police force and moves to Texas and works for Sysco, the family business.
After a car crash on the way to a homosexual tryst, Steven leaves his family and life behind, though he keeps in touch with his wife and young daughter, and explores the world as his true self – a gay man. He moves to Miami, where he finds a boyfriend, Jimmy, and they adopt a luxurious lifestyle. To keep themselves in the style to which they have become accustomed, Steven becomes a con man. He is pursued by the police, and, after jumping off a parking garage, is sent to prison, where he falls in love with inmate Phillip Morris.
Steven cannot bear to be separated from Phillip. After being released, he helps get Phillip freed from prison by posing as a lawyer, then attains wealth by fraudulently acquiring a position as Chief Financial Officer of a large medical management company called USAMM.
Steven is eventually caught embezzling. While in the police car, he reminisces about Jimmy in Florida, dying of AIDS. He asks the police for Phillip’s insulin and injects himself. He goes back to prison, where Phillip is also sent as an accomplice and angrily tells Steven he never wants to see him again. Months later, Phillip learns from another inmate that Steven is dying of AIDS. Heartbroken, Phillip calls Steven while he is in the infirmary and confesses that, while he is still upset with Steven for lying to him, he still loves him. Phillip is later told that Steven has died.
Sometime later, Phillip is taken to meet with his lawyer and finds Steven waiting for him. Steven describes how he faked dying of AIDS, to be allowed to see Phillip again, and promises never to lie to him again. He runs one last con to break Phillip out of prison, only to be caught when he runs into an old co-worker.
The end of the movie explains that the real-life Phillip was released from prison in 2006; but Steven was given a life sentence and is in 23-hour lockup, only having one free hour a day to shower and exercise, which the film implies to be because an official involved in the sentencing had a brother-in-law who was conned by Russell.
The last scene shows Steven laughing joyfully while running across the prison yard, guards in pursuit, in another attempt to be with Phillip.
Also, check these topics out: Craig Reid AGT Hula Hoops Stupid Love, Maddy Penney World of Dance 2020 The Duels, Stargirl Season 1 Episode 12, Marvel movies in order by release date, 2020 Oscars, Ryan Tricks AGT mentalist mobile phone, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, Simon and Maria AGT Salsa. I Love You Phillip Morris (2009 movie) Jim Carrey, Ewan McGregor. I Love You Phillip Morris movie 2009 trailer, cast Jim Carrey, Ewan McGregor, Comedy.