The Game is a 1997 American mystery action thriller film directed by David Fincher, starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn, and produced by Propaganda Films and PolyGram Filmed Entertainment. It tells the story of a wealthy investment banker who is given a mysterious gift by his brother – participation in a game that integrates in strange ways with his everyday life. As the lines between the banker’s real life and the game become more uncertain, hints of a large conspiracy become apparent.
- Starring : Michael Douglas / Sean Penn
- Genre : Drama / Mystery / Thriller
- Country : United States
- Language : English / Cantonese / German
- Director : David Fincher
- Production : Polygram Filmed Entertainment / Propaganda Films / A&B Producoes, Lda.
- Distributor : Polygram Filmed Entertainment / REP Distribution / PolyGram Filmed Entertainment / Ascot Elite Entertainment Group / PolyGram Film Distribution / PolyGram Filmed Entertainment Distribution / Vitória Filmes / Buena Vista International / Pinema / GAGA Humax / GAGA / Image Entertainment / PolyGram Video / Buena Vista International Finland / The Criterion Collection / Lider Films / Buena Vista Home Entertainment / Buena Vista Home Video / Polygram Video / Gativideo / Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) / Verenigde Arbeiders Radio Amateurs (VARA) / Universal Pictures / Mainostelevisio (MTV3) / Tele 5 / Nelonen / Cecchi Gori Distribuzione / Columbia TriStar Home Video / Panorama Entertainment / RTL2
The Game movie
The Game release date
- September 3, 1997 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- September 8, 1997 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (premiere)
- September 12, 1997 : Canada
- September 12, 1997 : USA
- October 2, 1997 : Australia
- October 10, 1997 : UK
- October 10, 1997 : Ireland
- October 17, 1997 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- October 28, 1997 : Singapore (premiere)
- November 5, 1997 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- November 5, 1997 : France
- November 6, 1997 : Singapore
- November 12, 1997 : Philippines
- November 20, 1997 : Germany
- November 21, 1997 : Israel
- December 5, 1997 : Spain
- December 5, 1997 : Sweden
- February 6, 1998 : Switzerland (Italian speaking region)
- February 7, 1998 : Japan
The Game cast
- Michael Douglas as Nicholas Van Orton
- Sean Penn as Conrad
- Deborah Kara Unger as Christine
- James Rebhorn as Jim Feingold
- Peter Donat as Samuel Sutherland
- Carroll Baker as Ilsa
- Anna Katarina as Elizabeth
- Armin Mueller-Stahl as Anson Baer
- Charles Martinet as Nicholas’ Father
- Scott Hunter McGuire as Young Nicholas
- Florentine Mocanu as Nicholas’ Mother
- Elizabeth Dennehy as Maria
- Caroline Barclay as Maggie
- Daniel Schorr as Daniel Schorr
- John Aprea as Power Executive
Nicholas Van Orton, a wealthy investment banker, is estranged from both his ex-wife and his younger brother, Conrad. He is haunted from having seen his father commit suicide on the latter’s 48th birthday. For Nicholas’s own 48th birthday, Conrad presents Nicholas with an unusual gift-a voucher for a “Game” offered by a company called Consumer Recreation Services (CRS). Conrad promises that it will change his life.
Nicholas has doubts about CRS, but he meets fellow bankers who enjoyed the Game. He goes to CRS’s offices to apply and is irritated by the lengthy and time-consuming series of psychological and physical examinations required. He is later informed that his application has been rejected. Soon Nicholas begins to believe that his business, reputation, finances, and safety are at risk. He encounters a waitress, Christine, who appears to have been endangered by the Game. Nicholas contacts the police, but they find the CRS offices abandoned.
Eventually, Conrad appears at Nicholas’s house and apologizes, claiming he has come under attack by CRS. With no one else to turn to, Nicholas finds Christine’s home. He discovers she is a CRS employee and her apartment was fake. Christine says they are being watched. Nicholas attacks a camera, and armed CRS personnel swarm the house and fire upon them. Nicholas and Christine are forced to flee. Christine tells him CRS has drained his bank accounts using the psychological tests to guess his passwords. Panicking, Nicholas calls his bank, gives a verification code and is told his balance is zero. Just as he begins to trust Christine, he realizes she has drugged him. As he loses consciousness, she admits she is part of the scam and he made a fatal mistake saying his verification code.
Also, check these topics out: The 100 Season 7 Episode 11 trailer, I Am Woman movie, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 7 Episode 13, 2020 Oscars, Stargirl Season 1 Finale, Marvel movies in order by release date, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, Seized movie, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote. The Game (1997 movie) Michael Douglas, Sean Penn. The Game movie 1997 trailer, cast Michael Douglas, Sean Penn.