Tootsie is a 1982 American romantic comedy film directed by Sydney Pollack and starring Dustin Hoffman. Its supporting cast includes Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Bill Murray, Charles Durning, George Gaynes, Geena Davis, Doris Belack and Pollack. The film tells the story of a talented but volatile actor whose reputation for being difficult forces him to adopt a new identity as a woman in order to land a job. The film was adapted by Larry Gelbart, Barry Levinson (uncredited), Elaine May (uncredited) and Murray Schisgal from a story by Gelbart and Don McGuire.
- Starring : Dustin Hoffman / Jessica Lange
- Genre : Comedy / Drama / Romance
- Country : United States
- Language : English
- Director : Sydney Pollack
- Production : Columbia Pictures / Mirage Enterprises / Punch Productions / Delphi Films
- Distributor : Columbia Pictures / Columbia-EMI-Warner / Columbia Pictures of Argentina / Warner Bros. / Columbia Pictures / Warner Bros. / Warner-Columbia Film / Warner-Columbia Films / RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video / American Broadcasting Company (ABC) / RCA/Columbia Pictures International Video / The Criterion Collection / Columbia TriStar Home Video / Egmont Film / Nelonen / Mainostelevisio (MTV3) / Egmont Entertainment / Universal Pictures / LK-TEL / Sony Pictures Home Entertainment / Columbia TriStar Film / Columbia TriStar / Eén / Iris / Mainostelevisio (MTV) / Moviemax Family / Nordisk Film / RCA/Columbia-Hoyts Home Video / Video Trade / Videosonic
Tootsie release date
- December 1, 1982 : USA (Hollywood, California) (premiere)
- December 4, 1982 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- December 17, 1982 : Canada
- December 17, 1982 : USA
- February 22, 1983 : Spain
- March 2, 1983 : France
- March 3, 1983 : Australia
- March 4, 1983 : Sweden
- April 16, 1983 : Japan
- April 28, 1983 : UK
- June 10, 1983 : Ireland
- Dustin Hoffman as Michael Dorsey / Dorothy Michaels
- Jessica Lange as Julie
- Teri Garr as Sandy
- Dabney Coleman as Ron
- Charles Durning as Les
- Bill Murray as Jeff
- Sydney Pollack as George Fields
- George Gaynes as John Van Horn
- Geena Davis as April
- Doris Belack as Rita
- Ellen Foley as Jacqui
- Peter Gatto as Rick
- Lynne Thigpen as Jo
- Ronald L. Schwary as Phil Weintraub
- Debra Mooney as Mrs. Mallory
The film was a major critical and financial success, the second most profitable film of 1982, and was nominated for ten Academy Awards including Best Picture. Lange was the only winner, for Best Supporting Actress.
In 1998 the Library of Congress deemed the film “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.
The theme song, “It Might Be You”, was performed by Stephen Bishop, with music by Dave Grusin and lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. It was a Top 40 hit in the United States and hit No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart.
Also, check these topics out: The Last Picture Show movie, Who won The Masked Singer 2019, Supernatural Season 15 Episode 14 trailer, 2020 Oscars, Marvel movies in order by release date, Kids Choice Awards 2020 vote, Marionette movie, Beverly Hills Cop II movie, Pineapple Express movie. Tootsie (1982 movie) Comedy, Dustin Hoffman. Tootsie movie 1982 trailer, cast Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange | Comedy.