Weathering with You is a 2019 Japanese animated romantic fantasy film written and directed by Makoto Shinkai. The film is set in Japan during a period of exceptionally rainy weather and tells the story of a high-school boy who runs away to Tokyo and befriends an orphan girl who appears to be able to manipulate the weather. The film was produced by CoMix Wave Films, Genki Kawamura, and Story Inc., and the music was composed by Radwimps.
- Starring : Nana Mori
- Genre : Animation / Drama / Fantasy / Romance
- Country : Japan
- Language : Japanese
- Director : Makoto Shinkai
- Production : “Weathering With You” Film Partners / CoMix Wave Films / Kadokawa / Lawson Entertainment / Story (II) / Toho
- Distributor : Toho / Beijing Enlight Pictures / Huaxia Film Distribution / Bac Films / CJ CGV Viet Nam / China Film Group Corporation (CFGC) / Cineplex Entertainment / Digi-Optic Films / Edko Films / Encore Films / Fathom Events / Golden Village Pictures / Megabox Plus M / National Amusements / Periscoop Film / Pioneer Films / Universum Film (UFA) / Volga / Waterhole Company / @Anime / Anime Limited / GKIDS / Media Castle / Selecta Visión / Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE)
Weathering with You movie
Weathering with You release date
- July 19, 2019 : Japan
- August 22, 2019 : Australia (Japanese version)
- August 28, 2019 : Philippines
- September 8, 2019 : Canada (Japanese version) (Toronto International Film Festival) (premiere)
- September 12, 2019 : Singapore
- September 21, 2019 : Spain (Donostia-San Sebastián International Film Festival)
- September 27, 2019 : India (Japanese Film Festival India)
- September 27, 2019 : Japan (4-D version)
- October 11, 2019 : India
- October 12, 2019 : Spain (Japanese version) (Sitges Film Festival)
- October 12, 2019 : UK (Scotland Loves Anime) (Japanese version) (premiere)
- October 18, 2019 : USA (Japanese version) (Animation Is Film Festival) (premiere)
- November 14, 2019 : USA (Los Angeles, California) (Asian World Film Festival)
- November 17, 2019 : USA (Anime NYC) (Manhattan, New York)
- November 17, 2019 : USA (Hawaii Film Festival)
- November 29, 2019 : Spain
- December 10, 2019 : UK (London) (Japanese version)
- December 12, 2019 : France (Paris) (Japanese version)
- December 13, 2019 : France (Paris) (Japanese version)
- January 8, 2020 : France
- January 15, 2020 : Canada (event release)
- January 15, 2020 : USA (event release)
- January 16, 2020 : Germany
- January 16, 2020 : USA (event release)
- January 17, 2020 : Canada
- January 17, 2020 : UK
- January 17, 2020 : Ireland
- January 17, 2020 : USA
Weathering with You cast
- Kotaro Daigo as Morishima Hodaka(voice)
- Nana Mori as Amano Hina(voice)
- Sei Hiraizumi as Yasui(voice)
- Yûki Kaji as Takai(voice)
- Kentaro Araki as Araki(voice)
- Chieko Baishô as Tomi Tachibana(voice)
- Ashley Boettcher as Hina Amano(voice)
- Alison Brie as Natsumi(voice)
- Brandon Engman as Hodaka Morishima(voice)
- Lexie Foley as Moka Suga(voice)
- Barbara Goodson as Fumi Tachibana(voice)
- Wayne Grayson as Kimura(voice)
- Emeka Guindo as Nagisa Amano(voice)
- Kana Hanazawa as Kana(voice)
- Catie Harvey as Yotsuha Miyamizu(voice)
Weathering with You was released in Japan on July 19, 2019; the previous day, a novel adaptation written by Shinkai—one of his original works—was published. A manga adaptation illustrated by Watari Kubota was first serialized in Kodansha’s Afternoon on July 25 the same year; it was selected as the Japanese entry for Best International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards. It also received four Annie Award nominations including Best Independent Animated Feature, which makes it the third anime film tying with Spirited Away and Millennium Actress to have four nominations, which is the highest for an anime film at the Annies.
High-school freshman Hodaka Morishima runs away from his home and moves to Tokyo. On the trip, he almost gets thrown off a ferry when a freak rainstorm hits it. However, he is saved by a man named Keisuke Suga, who gives Hodaka his business card in case he ever needed help. Hodaka contacts Suga and is hired as an assistant to his small publishing company. At work, Hodaka meets Natsumi, Suga’s niece. They investigate urban legends relating to the unusual weather in Tokyo; from a psychic, they hear the legend of a weather maiden who can control the weather.
Hodaka encounters Hina, who has been intimidated into working at a sketchy club, and rescues her. The two teens escape to a nearby abandoned building where she demonstrates her ability to clear the sky by praying. Inspired by the legend of the weather maiden, Hodaka visits Hina at her home and proposes that they start a business together; Hina would provide her mysterious ability to people who want clear weather for special events. Their business becomes a great success and they attract a large number of clients ranging from kindergarten students to corporate giants.
At Hina’s living quarters, Hodaka hides in the bathroom as the police interrogate Hina about Hodaka’s whereabouts. An officer informs Hina that social services will be called in to take away Nagi, Hina’s younger brother, because they are minors with no legal guardian. Once the police officers leave, Hodaka visits Suga in his car, who fires him from his job and gives him severance pay. Suga apologizes for his inability to help Hodaka any further because he doesn’t want any complications that could deter his filing for custody for his daughter.
Hodaka decides to run away with Hina and Nagi. They spend the night at a hotel where Hina reveals that her body is slowly being turned into water. She explains that her existence is the cause of the abnormal weather and her disappearance would return it to normal. Hodaka refuses to let this happen and promises to protect her. But, the next day, Hina goes missing, and the rains have consequently stopped. Hodaka sets out to find her, but he and Nagi are taken custody by the police before they can leave the hotel. Hodaka manages to escape the police station and gains the help of Natsumi as she is passing by. The police chase Hodaka until he reaches the building with the shrine where Hina first got her powers. Inside, he encounters Suga, who attempts to stop him from running away any further. The police manage to infiltrate the building and have Hodaka surrounded. Driven by his concern for the desperate Hodaka, Suga helps him escape from the Takai police, followed by Nagi appearing and stopping Yasui. Hodaka manages to reach the top of the building and jumps through the shrine. He is then transported above the world in the sky and rescues Hina. As they fall to earth, Hodaka begs Hina to start living for herself, and the rains resume with no foreseeable end.
Three years pass; Hodaka, who has been on probation, graduates from high school and immediately returns to live in a now half-submerged Tokyo. He goes to meet Suga, who has expanded his business, who pushes him to see Hina. He then looks for Hina, whom he has not spoken to in the last three years. While walking on a rainy day, he finds Hina praying on the other end of the street, and the two are finally reunited.
Also, check these topics out: X Factor UK 2019, Manifest Season 2 Episode 2, Ray Donovan Season 7 Episode 9, AGT Champions Angelina Jordan golden buzzer, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation movie, Family Reunion Season 2, AGT judges, X-Men movies in order of release date, AGT Champions Dania Diaz magician, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, AGT Champions Eddie Williams Ordinary People, Puss in Boots movie, AGT Champions Hans Juice, Diary of a Future President Season 1 Episode 1. Weathering with You (2020 movie, Anime). Weathering with You (2020 movie) trailer starring Nana Mori | Anime.