The Dark Knight is a 2008 superhero film directed, co-produced, and co-written by Christopher Nolan. Based on the DC Comics character Batman, the film is the second installment of Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy and a sequel to 2005’s Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale and supported by Michael Caine, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Morgan Freeman.
In the film, Bruce Wayne / Batman (Bale), Police Lieutenant James Gordon (Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Eckhart) form an alliance to dismantle organized crime in Gotham City, but are menaced by an anarchistic mastermind known as the Joker (Ledger), who seeks to undermine Batman’s influence and turn the city to chaos.
- Starring : Christian Bale / Michael Caine
- Genre : Action / Crime / Drama / Thriller
- Country : United States / United Kingdom
- Language : English / Mandarin
- Director : Christopher Nolan
- Production : Warner Bros. / Legendary Entertainment / Syncopy / DC Comics
- Distributor : 20th Century Fox / Alexandra Films / Blitz / Columbia TriStar Warner Filmes de Portugal / Continental Film / Forum Cinemas / Fox-Warner / InterCom / InterComFilm / Karo Premiere / Nu Metro Cinemas / Sam Film / Sandrew Metronome Distribution Sverige AB / Sandrew Metronome Distribution / Sandrew Metronome International / Sandrew Metronome Norge / Village Films / Warner Bros. Pictures / Warner Bros. / Amazon Prime Video / Argentina Video Home / Film1 / HBO Max / Home Box Office (HBO) / ITV 1 / Kanal 2 / SBS6 / SBS9 / TNT / VT4 / Veronica / Warner Bros. Entertainment Australia / Warner Bros. Entertainment Finland / Warner Home Video / Warner Home Vídeo
The Dark Knight movie
The Dark Knight release date
- July 14, 2008 : USA (New York City, New York) (premiere)
- July 16, 2008 : Australia
- July 17, 2008 : Philippines
- July 17, 2008 : Singapore
- July 18, 2008 : Canada
- July 18, 2008 : India
- July 18, 2008 : USA
- July 21, 2008 : UK (London) (premiere)
- July 23, 2008 : Spain (Barcelona) (premiere)
- July 24, 2008 : United Arab Emirates
- July 24, 2008 : UK
- July 24, 2008 : Ireland
- July 24, 2008 : Israel
- July 25, 2008 : Sweden
- July 28, 2008 : Japan (Tokyo) (premiere)
- August 1, 2008 : Germany (limited)
- August 2, 2008 : Japan (limited)
- August 9, 2008 : Japan
- August 13, 2008 : Switzerland (French speaking region)
- August 13, 2008 : Spain
- August 13, 2008 : France
- August 21, 2008 : Switzerland (German speaking region)
- August 21, 2008 : Germany
- January 23, 2009 : USA (IMAX version) (re-release)
- January 24, 2009 : Japan (re-release)
- February 12, 2009 : Singapore (re-release)
- January 31, 2015 : Spain (Barcelona) (re-release)
- August 24, 2018 : USA (re-release) (IMAX version)
The Dark Knight cast
- Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne
- Heath Ledger as Joker
- Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent
- Michael Caine as Alfred
- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel
- Gary Oldman as Gordon
- Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox
- Monique Gabriela Curnen as Ramirez
- Ron Dean as Wuertz
- Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow
- Chin Han as Lau
- Nestor Carbonell as Mayor
- Eric Roberts as Maroni
- Ritchie Coster as Chechen
- Anthony Michael Hall as Mike Engel
Nolan’s inspiration for the film was the Joker’s comic book debut in 1940, the 1988 graphic novel The Killing Joke, and the 1996 series The Long Halloween, which retold Harvey Dent’s origin. The “Dark Knight” nickname was first applied to Batman in Batman #1 (1940), in a story written by Bill Finger. The Dark Knight was filmed primarily in Chicago, as well as in several other locations in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Hong Kong. Nolan used IMAX 70 mm film cameras to film some sequences, including the Joker’s first appearance in the film. Warner Bros. initially created a viral marketing campaign for The Dark Knight, developing promotional websites and trailers highlighting screenshots of Ledger as the Joker. Ledger died on January 22, 2008, some months after he completed filming and six months before the film’s release from a toxic combination of prescription drugs, leading to intense attention from the press and movie-going public.
A co-production of the United States and the United Kingdom, The Dark Knight was released on July 18, 2008, in the United States and on July 25, 2008, in the United Kingdom. Considered one of the best films of its decade and one of the best superhero films of all time; the film received highly positive reviews, particularly for its action, score, screenplay, performances (particularly Ledger’s), visual effects, and direction, setting numerous records during its theatrical run. The Dark Knight appeared on 287 critics’ top-ten lists, more than any other film of 2008 with the exception of WALL-E, and more critics (77) named The Dark Knight the best film released that year. With over $1 billion in revenue worldwide, it became the highest-grossing film of 2008 and is the 44th-highest-grossing film of all time, unadjusted for inflation (4th at the time of release); it also set the record for highest-grossing domestic opening with $158 million, a record it held for three years. The film received eight Academy Award nominations; it won the award for Best Sound Editing and Ledger was posthumously awarded Best Supporting Actor. The Dark Knight Rises, the final film in the trilogy, was released on July 20, 2012.
A gang of criminals rob a Gotham City mob bank, murdering each other for a higher share of the money until only the Joker remains, who escapes with the money. Batman, District Attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant James Gordon form an alliance to rid Gotham City of organized crime. Bruce Wayne believes that with Dent as Gotham’s protector, he can retire from being Batman and lead a normal life with Rachel Dawes – even though she and Dent are dating.
Mob bosses Sal Maroni, Gambol, and the Chechen hold a video conference with their corrupt accountant, Lau, who has taken their funds for safekeeping and fled to Hong Kong. The Joker interrupts the meeting to warn them that since Batman is unhindered by the law, he would find Lau, who would give up the mob’s money for a plea bargain. Joker offers to kill Batman in exchange for half of their money. The mob bosses disagree, and Gambol places a bounty on the Joker. The Joker finds and kills Gambol, taking over his gang. The mob decides to take the Joker up on his offer.
Batman finds Lau in Hong Kong and brings him back to Gotham to testify, allowing Dent to apprehend the entire mob. The Joker threatens to kill people unless Batman reveals his identity, and starts by murdering Police Commissioner Gillian B. Loeb and the judge presiding over the mob trial. The Joker also tries to kill Mayor Anthony Garcia, but Gordon sacrifices himself to stop the assassination. Dent kidnaps one of Joker’s henchmen and threatens him with a seemingly deadly game of heads or tails until Batman intervenes, warning Dent that all the criminals he has convicted would be released if anyone found out. Dent learns that Rachel is Joker’s next target.
Also, check these topics out: Mad Max Fury Road movie, Jaws movie, Goodfellas movie, AGT judges, Psycho movie, The Truman Show movie, Apocalypse Now movie, Free Guy movie, Taxi Driver movie, The Godfather movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, Alien movie, X Factor UK 2019, X-Men movies in order of release date. The Dark Knight (2008 movie). The Dark Knight (2008) trailer starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine.