X-Men: The Last Stand (also marketed as X3) is a 2006 superhero film based on the X-Men superhero team introduced in Marvel Comics. It is the sequel to 2003’s X2, as well as the third installment in the X-Men film series, and was directed by Brett Ratner and written by Simon Kinberg and Zak Penn.
It features an ensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, Anna Paquin, Kelsey Grammer, James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn, Shawn Ashmore, Aaron Stanford, Vinnie Jones, and Patrick Stewart. The film’s script is loosely based on two X-Men comic book story arcs: “The Dark Phoenix Saga” by writer Chris Claremont and artist John Byrne, and “Gifted” by writer Joss Whedon and artist John Cassaday, with a plot that revolves around a “mutant cure” that causes serious repercussions among mutants and humans, and on the resurrection of Jean Grey.
- Starring : Hugh Jackman / Halle Berry
- Genre : Action / Sci-Fi
- Country : Canada / United States / United Kingdom
- Language : English
- Director : Brett Ratner
- Production : Twentieth Century Fox / Marvel Enterprises / Donners’ Company / Ingenious Film Partners / Dune Entertainment / Major Studio Partners / Bad Hat Harry Productions / X3 Canada Productions / X3US Productions / XM3 Service / thinkfilm
- Distributor : Twentieth Century Fox / 20th Century Fox Argentina / 20th Century Fox / 20th Century Fox de Venezuela / Bontonfilm / Forum Cinemas / Fox-Warner / Gemini Kinomir / Hispano Foxfilms S.A.E. / SF Film / Twentieth Century Fox C.I.S. / Warner Bros. F.E. / 20th Century Fox Entertainment / 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment / FOX / FS Film / Film1 / Hotstar / RTL Entertainment / Revolution Sun Studios / Sub / Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
X-Men: The Last Stand movie
X-Men: The Last Stand release date
- May 22, 2006 : France (Cannes Film Festival)
- May 24, 2006 : France
- May 24, 2006 : Philippines
- May 24, 2006 : Sweden
- May 25, 2006 : Australia
- May 25, 2006 : Germany
- May 25, 2006 : UK
- May 25, 2006 : Israel
- May 25, 2006 : Singapore
- May 26, 2006 : Canada
- May 26, 2006 : Spain
- May 26, 2006 : Ireland
- May 26, 2006 : USA
- June 2, 2006 : India
- September 9, 2006 : Japan
- April 21, 2016 : Japan (Okinawa International Movie Festival)
X-Men: The Last Stand cast
- Hugh Jackman as Logan / Wolverine
- Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe / Storm
- Ian McKellen as Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto
- Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier / Professor X
- Famke Janssen as Jean Grey / Phoenix
- Anna Paquin as Marie / Rogue
- Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Henry ‘Hank’ McCoy / Beast
- James Marsden as Scott Summers / Cyclops
- Rebecca Romijn as Raven Darkholme / Mystique
- Shawn Ashmore as Bobby Drake / Iceman
- Aaron Stanford as John Allerdyce / Pyro
- Vinnie Jones as Cain Marko / Juggernaut
- Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde / Shadowcat
- Daniel Cudmore as Peter Rasputin / Colossus
- Ben Foster as Warren Worthington III / Angel
Bryan Singer, who had directed the two previous films, X-Men (2000) and X2, decided to leave the sequel to work on Superman Returns. X2 composer John Ottman and X2 writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty also left to work on Superman Returns, as did James Marsden, who had very limited screen time in The Last Stand before his character was killed off due to his departure from the film. Singer had not even defined the storyline for a third film. Matthew Vaughn, who was initially hired as the new director, left due to personal and professional issues, and was replaced with Ratner. Filming took place from August 2005 to January 2006 with a budget of $210 million, and was consequently the most expensive film made at the time of its release. It had extensive visual effects created by 11 different companies.
X-Men: The Last Stand was released on May 26, 2006, by 20th Century Fox. It grossed approximately $459 million worldwide, becoming the seventh-highest-grossing film of 2006; it was at the time the highest-grossing film in the series and currently the fourth-highest-grossing film of the franchise. Critical reception was mixed, with the acting, musical score and the action scenes receiving positive notice, and criticism directed at the screenplay, overuse of characters, style and lack of dynamics.
Twenty years in the past, Professor Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr meet young Jean Grey at her parents’ house to invite her to join their school, the X-Mansion. Ten years later, the industrialist father of Warren Worthington III discovers his son is a mutant as Warren tries to cut off his wings.
In the present, Worthington Labs announces it has developed an inoculation to suppress the X-gene that gives mutants their abilities and offer the “cure” to any mutant who wants it. The cure is created from the genome of a young mutant named Jimmy, who lives at the Worthington facility on Alcatraz Island. While some mutants are interested in the cure, including the X-Men’s Rogue, many others are horrified by the announcement. Magneto re-establishes his Brotherhood of Mutants with those who oppose the cure, warning his followers that the cure will be forcefully used to exterminate the mutant race.
With help from Pyro, Magneto recruits Callisto and several other mutants. They attack the mobile prison holding Mystique to free her, also freeing Juggernaut and Multiple Man. Mystique, shielding Magneto from a cure dart, is hit by it and loses her mutant abilities. Magneto abandons her as a result.
Meanwhile, Scott Summers, still distraught over the loss of his fiancée Jean Grey, drives to her resting location at Alkali Lake. Jean appears to Summers but, as the two kiss, Jean kills him. Sensing trouble, Xavier sends Logan and Storm to investigate. When they arrive, they find only telekinetically floating rocks, Summers’ glasses, and an unconscious Jean.
Also, check these topics out: Casino Royale movie, AGT judges, X-Men Apocalypse movie, X Factor UK 2019, The Wolverine movie, Die Another Day movie, X-Men movies in order of release date, X-Men First Class movie, Deadpool movie, X-Men Origins Wolverine movie, The Voice Katie Kadan Rolling in the Deep, X-Men Days of Future Past movie, The World Is Not Enough movie, Logan movie. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006 movie). X-Men: The Last Stand (2006 movie) trailer starring Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry.